Commander Keen: the comic strip

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen: the comic strip

Post by proYorp »

Mort wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 15:34
proYorp wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:59 Hmm, either that's not the real Mortimer or he's not using enough of his coveted braincells to realize he should not be standing right there as earth is about to get lasered out of the sky. Or this is really all just a dirty prank.
Good point. My thought was that there was some kind of prep work or count down that was going on with whatever is about to attack Earth, so Mort needs to stop Keen from foiling the destruction before the clock ticks to 0. Then he'll escape somehow.
Lol I forgot to realize Mortimer probably has access to his own escape. Maybe I need to use more braincells. :dopekeen

By the way, did you finish re-uploading all the old comics as higher resolution?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Haha, that's a good comic, Mort! I actually laughed for a bit! :lol The backlog idea sounds good to me. There may be a long break, but once the comics get uploaded again, it's at a nice steady pace rather than randomly. It just seems better that way. If I made a comic strip, I'd go with the backlog, especially if it's a syndicated one. Regarding Mortimer, we're talking about a kid who's going to blow up the universe, even though he's part of it! Given that his IQ is 315, I'm sure he's smart enough to make a teleportation device he'll use just when the Earth gets blown up.
Pandakeen wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 15:35 I plan to do the same thing when I start publishing my intentionally bad Dangerous Dave sprite comics :p
Oh, that sounds like fun! I wonder what that's going to be like. :p
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

proYorp wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 20:53 By the way, did you finish re-uploading all the old comics as higher resolution?
I've re-uploaded everything I could. I apparently don't have the original high-resolution versions for 1-11. And I accidentally down-sized #37 (and I think one more) by accident, so I don't have that either. To get the high-res of those, I'd have to re-scan and touch-up the original drawings (assuming I still have them), but I don't think I'll be getting to that any time soon.

If you want, I can send you a dropbox link so you don't have to download them individually from the site. If that sounds good to you, just DM me your email.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

New strip! https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1035

And since I'm working ahead a bit, I thought it would be fun to post the thumbnail for the NEXT strip. So here you go...

Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Heh, I don't think anyone's explored what Arthur's talk show is like before! :lol
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Sorry yet again for the wait. As I've said, I'm trying to build a backlog and comic #84 was a pretty long one (29 panels!) so it took me a while. At any rate, here you go...

http://www.keencomic.com/?p=1076

And here's the thumbnail for the next one...

Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Ha ha, these are very good as usual, Mort! :lol It's cool to see someone explore the Blaze family, they usually don't get much attention. Also, that was probably the most embarrassing defeat Mortimer (the bad guy, not you) has ever witnessed! :lol At least he got what is perhaps his best "reward" to make up for it!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Pandakeen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 13:48 Heh, I don't think anyone's explored what Arthur's talk show is like before! :lol
Quillax wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:57 Ha ha, these are very good as usual, Mort! :lol It's cool to see someone explore the Blaze family, they usually don't get much attention.
Thanks and thanks! Yeah, as I'm working on these comics I'm finding that there's a surprising amount of Keen lore that's unexplored -- as far as I know anyway. So it's fun to dig into it.

Anyhoo... New strip. Enjoy...
https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1095

And on the next nail-biting adventure...
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

You're welcome! :)

Ha ha ha, that's a good, funny strip! :lol You're very good at the drawing and writing! Ha ha, I'm sure Spot isn't any more of a normal dog than Snoopy is, right!? :yorp I like that Keen is eating what I assume is the nourishing Sugar Stoopies! That's a neat little detail!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

your work is top notch!
In fact, I'm thinking about commissioning a printed copy of your comics. Your artwork is so high quality that I like to have a physical copy to put on my shelf so I can flip through the pages from time to time and start my day with a big smile.

This leads me to ask if you would be okay with me having such a (single) copy made on paper. In case you are planning to produce the Keen series yourself, I am more than eager to acquire a copy. I think I would put it right next to the Calvin & Hobbes comic strips collection.
out now (link) : Image
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Quillax wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:58 You're welcome! :)

Ha ha ha, that's a good, funny strip! :lol You're very good at the drawing and writing! Ha ha, I'm sure Spot isn't any more of a normal dog than Snoopy is, right!? :yorp I like that Keen is eating what I assume is the nourishing Sugar Stoopies! That's a neat little detail!
Good catch on the "Sugar Stoopies" thing. Was wondering if anyone would catch that -- especially since his arm is covering the "Stoopies" part. :)

Nisaba wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:06 your work is top notch!
In fact, I'm thinking about commissioning a printed copy of your comics. Your artwork is so high quality that I like to have a physical copy to put on my shelf so I can flip through the pages from time to time and start my day with a big smile.

This leads me to ask if you would be okay with me having such a (single) copy made on paper. In case you are planning to produce the Keen series yourself, I am more than eager to acquire a copy. I think I would put it right next to the Calvin & Hobbes comic strips collection.
I've actually always intended on putting this in book-form sooner or later. I wouldn't sell it since I'm guessing that would be illegal considering it's not my IP. But I wouldn't have a problem with giving it away or maybe charging whatever it costs to produce after clearing it with Tom and the gang.

Even so, there are a couple of problems. The first is that I just don't think I have enough content to make it worth-while. I would probably fit two of the short-form comics per page, and then one of the long-form per page (with a few having to be divided across multiple pages). So that would work out to -- well, I haven't done the math, but considering I only have 85 comics, it would be less than that at least. I guess I could just put a book out, and then maybe put out updated books every so often...

The other issue is that I don't have high-res digital versions of some of the older comics. So--assuming I still have the original drawings in my attic somewhere--I would have to re-scan and touch-up those comics before they'd be ready for a book. That's not a deal-beaker of course, but it would take some time.

So what I'll probably do is start the process of getting stuff together now, and figure out how to organize it and whatever. So once I actually have something put together and ready to go, I'll actually have enough content to make it worthwhile. So yeah, that can happen but it's just going to take some time.

And on that note...

http://www.keencomic.com/?p=1091

And of course, the preview for next time...

Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

New strip... Enjoy...

https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1084

Preview:

Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Mort wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:49 New strip... Enjoy...

https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1084

Preview:

Well, this was unexpected! Just read it, never thought of Keen using his brother's football helmet being like this, but it's an interesting take. Also, the more I read this the more it reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Soul Monster wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:56 Well, this was unexpected! Just read it, never thought of Keen using his brother's football helmet being like this, but it's an interesting take. Also, the more I read this the more it reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes.
Thanks. But honestly, this was not my original plan for the helmet or Keen's brother. I originally wanted his brother to be a background character who is talked about often, but never actually shown. And I wanted Keen to genuinely idolize his brother and have this emotional attachment to the helmet. Then I came up with this joke and that all went out the window. :D

So onward we march...
https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1106

Preview for next time:
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Mort wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 16:32Then I came up with this joke and that all went out the window. :D
Well it made me chuckle, so I think it was a good one :p
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."