Commander Keen: the comic strip

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Commander Keen: the comic strip

Post by Nisaba »

show 'em, Guido!
lmaoo!
The mystery is solved. All this time it was His Holiness Guido with his incomparable poisonous power for whom they built a shrine with a large statue, didn't they
out now (link) : Image
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

oh joy, also i thought poor slug was having a cold...oh the poison sneezes
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Nisaba wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:35 The mystery is solved. All this time it was His Holiness Guido with his incomparable poisonous power for whom they built a shrine with a large statue, didn't they
:D Oh, I have plans for the Slug King, if I ever get that far.

Here's the next one... https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1136

Preview:
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

pinning for the fjords, read it many times on older pages....never got it
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Urban Dictionary wrote: "pining for the fjords"
Used to describe a dead person or animal as a way of convincing somebody that the corpse is not, in fact, dead.

First used by Michael Palin in reference to a dead Norweigan Blue parrot in the famous Monty Python Sketch.
I see, so it's a double-layered reference. Never heard of this line either. Well I was going to make a comment about the intrigue of inventing new species to add depth to the Keen planets. :p

also how did i already know these birds were supposed to be blue with no color hang on what the heck

Mort wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 15:47
proYorp wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 21:18 The pun was plenty obvious to me. I've heard it said aloud a few times, so there's that. Pretty sure Doofenschmirtz used it once.
LOL. When I came up with that one I was like, "Someone HAD to have made this joke with the Mad Mushrooms before," which is why I had to add that "everyone was thinking it" part. :)
Ah yes, the duality of "what if it's not obvious" and "what if somebody did this before". :p Really though, I love this series for being as cheesy and over-the-top as it is. I think the one pun I had trouble with was the shockshund one ("ohm-bark from here." Was that "embark"?) but even if I don't initially find them amusing they tend to kind of grow on me.

Mort wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 15:47
proYorp wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 21:18 Also Raff still has the T-shirt! :D Awesome. I love the shirt.
Thanks for noticing. The shirt got covered with so much Foob entrails, I wasn't sure if anyone would notice.
I was looking for it! :D It's such a fun silly little tagline.

Actually I was thinking about, someday in the future, making my own Keen comic. I was wanting to actually borrow that shirt design for a little easter egg reference, would you be cool with that?

Fully expecting Guido to suddenly reappear in about 10 comics or so and explode.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

jmfmagnum wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 22:26 pinning for the fjords, read it many times on older pages....never got it
For reference, here's the Saturday Night Live version of the skit, which I personally like better than the original Monty Python version. I generally try to avoid making the jokes dependent on those kind of esoteric references, but I felt like Keen fans would be part of the group that would get it. Might have been a poor assumption on my part.

proYorp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 23:37
Urban Dictionary wrote: First used by Michael Palin in reference to a dead Norweigan Blue parrot in the famous Monty Python Sketch.
I see, so it's a double-layered reference. Never heard of this line either. Well I was going to make a comment about the intrigue of inventing new species to add depth to the Keen planets. :p
Even though I used the reference and have watched that skit numerous times, I never understood what "pining for the fjords" was actually referring to. So after some quick research, I found out that Norway (where the Norweigan Blue would presumably be from) is known for its fjords. So basically the bird is yearning for its home--or would be if it weren't dead. The more you know...

proYorp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 23:37 Actually I was thinking about, someday in the future, making my own Keen comic. I was wanting to actually borrow that shirt design for a little easter egg reference, would you be cool with that?
Feel free. I would actually be honored.

And on that note, here's the latest...
https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1149

And next time we'll continue our visit with the Gnosticene Council...
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

oh... no giant lever on the oracle?
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

So the Oracle is basically their version of The Wheel Of Morality from Animaniacs? :lol
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:41 So the Oracle is basically their version of The Wheel Of Morality from Animaniacs? :lol
at the end of ep4 , they use a lever to make the oracle work
shame cant upload from computer, use this iamge fro mthe spriters resource and you will see
https://www.spriters-resource.com/resou ... 1471407155
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

jmfmagnum wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 22:16 at the end of ep4 , they use a lever to make the oracle work
shame cant upload from computer, use this iamge fro mthe spriters resource and you will see
https://www.spriters-resource.com/resou ... 1471407155
I know, but in the comic there was no lever to pull down, they just had to recite the chant. When it prints out its message, you could literally just insert "And the moral of today's story is..." and it would be seamless.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

jmfmagnum wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 17:18 oh... no giant lever on the oracle?
They mostly just leave it on sleep mode.
Soul Monster wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 0:53 I know, but in the comic there was no lever to pull down, they just had to recite the chant. When it prints out its message, you could literally just insert "And the moral of today's story is..." and it would be seamless.
And it's questionable whether or not the chanting is even required. It's more like "Hey, we should probably chant so it looks like we're necessary."
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

Mort wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 15:34
jmfmagnum wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 17:18 oh... no giant lever on the oracle?
They mostly just leave it on sleep mode.
Soul Monster wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 0:53 I know, but in the comic there was no lever to pull down, they just had to recite the chant. When it prints out its message, you could literally just insert "And the moral of today's story is..." and it would be seamless.
And it's questionable whether or not the chanting is even required. It's more like "Hey, we should probably chant so it looks like we're necessary."
maybe if they bless the machine like the adeptus mechanicus (warhammer 40k reference)
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Mort wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 15:34 And it's questionable whether or not the chanting is even required. It's more like "Hey, we should probably chant so it looks like we're necessary."
Lol I think that's in the original cutscene too, at least that's how it seems to me. The way the guy seems to stealthily pull the level hidden in the back immediately after Keen says "This sure is an impressive way to activate the oracle of wisdom!" really seems like it's set up to be a joke. All for show. :dopekeen

Nice character design for the Council Page btw.

Mort wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 14:13
proYorp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 23:37 Actually I was thinking about, someday in the future, making my own Keen comic. I was wanting to actually borrow that shirt design for a little easter egg reference, would you be cool with that?
Cool thanks! :D There's a chance you might see it sometime in the next decade.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

proYorp wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50
Mort wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 14:13
Cool thanks! :D There's a chance you might see it sometime in the next decade.
I'm certainly in no position to criticize anyone's production schedule. :D

And here we go with the first in an overly-long series of strips involving the Oracle Council. You will be sick of these people by the end of this, I promise.

https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1155

Not that this gives you much to work with, but here's the preview for next time:
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

And another...
https://www.keencomic.com/?p=1165

And the preview...