Commander Keen: the comic strip

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Mort
Vortininja

Re: Commander Keen: the comic strip

Post by Mort »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:56 just wanted to let you know that I love your comic strip so so much. Every time I look for creative input for my own mod, I come back to your work, flip through a few pages and immediately have a new idea I can work around with in one way or another. The tone and richness of your marvelous creative writing and of course your passion and skill are so inspiring to me. It's a blessing to have you as a community member. Keep up the good work!
Wow, that's an awesome compliment. Thanks so much!
Grandy02 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 15:40 Also noticed "And delt with him..." in comic #77. Or maybe "delt" is still a valid alternate spelling of "dealt"?
The misspelling has been delt with. :D
proYorp wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:26 Out of curiosity, do you still have all of the original paper drawings for these?
I'm pretty sure I have all of the original drawings up in my attic. But I did a lot of digital touch-up on them, so the final version for some of them look pretty different from the originals. And now I do everything completely digital, so there's no hard copy at all.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Mort wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 19:12 New strip... http://www.keencomic.com/?p=1003
It's so great to see these making a comeback! Loved the new comic Mort!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

You can't save the plaaaanet.
Oh lovely. :rolleyes With support like that, one wonders how Keen doesn't just toss up his hands and let Mortimer have his way with them all.... (I suppose that nearly happened in canon.... :mort )

At least he got his macaroni. :foot

For some reason at first glance Lily looked teenager age to me. Probably something to do with all the detail in and around the face.

About the name of Keen's brother... (I'm a bit unsure whether I should post this here or on your site since that's where it's mentioned, but I'm already writing here) there isn't a canonical name as far as I know, but if you want suggestions, maybe Don? There was a time when I thought that was the name of Keen's brother because I didn't fully understand the phrase "Billy dons his brother's football helmet." :dopekeen "Misconceptions" material.

By the way how did your nonverbal Mortimer give his mission to Lily? Text message? :p
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Soul Monster wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:43 It's so great to see these making a comeback! Loved the new comic Mort!
Thanks so much!
proYorp wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:58 For some reason at first glance Lily looked teenager age to me. Probably something to do with all the detail in and around the face.
Yeah. I wanted her to have the teen-like dismissive expression, so that's probably why. Ended up looking like a teen's head on a little kid's body. :lol
proYorp wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:58There was a time when I thought that was the name of Keen's brother because I didn't fully understand the phrase "Billy dons his brother's football helmet." :dopekeen "Misconceptions" material.
That is hilarious! :lol
proYorp wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:58 By the way how did your nonverbal Mortimer give his mission to Lily? Text message? :p
Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing when I wrote that. But I figured it doesn't matter whether he actually talks as long as you never actually SEE him talk.

Also, here's what happens when Mort stiffs Lily her money...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iayLBI7nsE0
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Hey, it's nice to see you get back in action once again, Mort! :mort I remember looking at your comics long ago -- Keen playing fetch with a Vorticon was quite a highlight for me back then! :lol Your comics are very high-quality I must say -- one of the few fan-made comics I've seen that live up to the professionals (and surpass some of them)! I'm glad you're making more! I like the one strip that tied in Wolfenstien; that's very clever! Your latest strip is pretty funny too! :lol

As far as I know, Keen's brother has no official name. For ideas, I think I named his brother Bill in a very old mod of mine. It's very similar to Billy, but so is Lilly to some extent. Biff is another idea that just came into my head.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I was wondering when the next comic would be made, it's been a couple months.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

This has been on my mind too the last few days. I don't think I remember a sudden unexplained long break happening in the middle of an arc before. I hope nothing bad happened. o_o"

I also hope I didn't come off as too critical in my last post. I really do enjoy these comics.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Yeah, sorry for the long wait. I'm trying to write ahead and create a bit of a back log. I've written out pretty far, and have two actual strips completed and should have a third done this weekend. I'll probably publish the next strip after that one is done. After that I'm going to try to complete two for every one I publish until I've worked out far enough to be comfortable. So it'll be a bit sporadic for a while, but in the long run I think it'll help with the quality and consistency. That's the idea anyway.
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Finally... Here you go...

http://www.keencomic.com/?p=1021
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

Yay!

I think having a backlog is great idea. That way you can make comics only when you feel like it and still have a consistent schedule. That's the way I see it.
I plan to do the same thing when I start publishing my intentionally bad Dangerous Dave sprite comics :p
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Hmm, either that's not the real Mortimer or he's not using enough of his coveted braincells to realize he should not be standing right there as earth is about to get lasered out of the sky. Or this is really all just a dirty prank.

But hey, why go to the bossfight when the bossfight can come to you? :D

Mort wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 14:35 I'm trying to write ahead and create a bit of a back log. I've written out pretty far, and have two actual strips completed and should have a third done this weekend. I'll probably publish the next strip after that one is done. After that I'm going to try to complete two for every one I publish until I've worked out far enough to be comfortable. So it'll be a bit sporadic for a while, but in the long run I think it'll help with the quality and consistency.
That sounds like a good plan! It'll be nice to have a regular schedule to look forward to.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Just read the new comic, and loved it!
Mort wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 14:35 Yeah, sorry for the long wait. I'm trying to write ahead and create a bit of a back log. I've written out pretty far, and have two actual strips completed and should have a third done this weekend. I'll probably publish the next strip after that one is done. After that I'm going to try to complete two for every one I publish until I've worked out far enough to be comfortable. So it'll be a bit sporadic for a while, but in the long run I think it'll help with the quality and consistency. That's the idea anyway.
That's actually a really good idea. As a fellow artist I know that feeling. It seems like when we try to create a schedule or goal for ourselves to complete our projects, while it can be motivating at times, it sometimes can take the fun out of art. Not only that, but it's easier to burn out when done in this way, so I think your new plan will work out well, since now you can work at your own pace and have more time to find inspiration and ideas.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

received a notification. instantly clicked the link. Read the comic strip with sheer joy and immediately had huge smiles on my lips!
I love the plot twist! this comic strip is so incredibly fantastic! :mort
out now (link) : Image
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Thanks for being understanding about the whole "backlog" thing. I am pretty excited about some of the stuff I have coming up, so it should be a fun time.
proYorp wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:59 Hmm, either that's not the real Mortimer or he's not using enough of his coveted braincells to realize he should not be standing right there as earth is about to get lasered out of the sky. Or this is really all just a dirty prank.
Good point. My thought was that there was some kind of prep work or count down that was going on with whatever is about to attack Earth, so Mort needs to stop Keen from foiling the destruction before the clock ticks to 0. Then he'll escape somehow. Unfortunately, you'll never see all that because this series of strips were mainly meant to show Keen's family in action, so I didn't want to have to spend additional strips explaining the details of Mort's plans. I'm just happy to have Mort in a strip at all, because even though he never says anything, I really love writing/drawing him for some reason.