Keen in a First-Person Doom Mod?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Would you like to see a 2.5D First-Person doom mod starring Commander Keen?

A remake of any of the original episodes would be cool
6%
An episode with an original story would be even cooler
31%
I'd like to see a 3D/2.5D Keen game, but not with a first-person perspective
44%
I don't want a Keen game with more than 2 dimensions
19%

Total votes: 16

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Keen in a First-Person Doom Mod?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I've been mulling this over for quite some time, but now I think I want to share my thoughts with you guys. I've thought about what a Keen game would be like with Doom's gameplay, and I think I might want to try to attempt it, even though there's already another DOOM mod I've been trying to get done for a long time.

It would have the same 2.5D environment and probably the fast-paced action of DOOM, but of course, keeping the bright, colorful, comedic, and overall "kiddy" style and elements of Commander Keen. I'd want to keep it true to the original games by giving him only one hit point to die, and to make up for this weakness the enemies would be way easier to avoid and kill. He's shorter than the doomguy, but he will jump much higher and there will be much less air resistance, making for some great platforming possibilities that is seldom seen in an FPS. (He should also get the pogo-stick, of course, and I bet I can figure a way to modify the key configurations to use it ;) )

This is Billy as he would appear in the game:

I've been thinking about either remaking episode 1 (Marooned on Mars) or going with an original story for the game. What I have so far for a new episode is this:

Working diligently in his backyard, Billy Blaze has reconfigured the Bean-With-Bacon-Megarocket to not only travel through space much faster, but also travel through time and other universes as well! So Billy tests out his modifications by taking it for a test drive to another universe. It was a complete success, but just as Billy was about to make an interstellar hyperjump back to his own universe, the warning siren went off, and all the ship's controls went dead. The Megarocket was being pulled to a nearby planet, unable to push out of it's gravity field.

The Megarocket had a crash landing, and as Billy stepped out of the remains of his rocket, he saw a sign in SGA that read "WELCOME TO GLOOGULUS PRIME"
"That's odd..." :confused Keen thought, as he pondered how a planet in another galaxy, and even another universe, would know the Standard Galactic Alphabet of his home Galaxy. He asked a nearby green, four-eyed and six-limbed alien if he knew anybody who could help repair his ship, and he just happened to be friendly enough to help.

"Traveling to alternate universes? There is only one being on this planet that could help you with that, but talking to him is awful risky..."
"Who?!" Keen demanded. The alien looked at the ground, twidled it's four thumbs and stuttered until it finally came out.
"The Great Gloogageddon. It is the overlord of our planet with awesome power as well as ancient and near-infinite knowledge who is the allfather of the beings known as the Gloogs.
"So what's so hard about asking him for help?" Keen asked.
"Well, right now it is in a deep, eternal sleep, and can only be awakened by uniting the eight Gloogstones at the Altar of Gloog. The gloogstones are spread throughout the world, and just retrieving them is dangerous enough, but upon awakening, the Gloogageddon will demand a battle to judge if you are worthy of an audience with him."
"I've done dangerous stuff before," Keen said. "This should be a piece of cake! So what are these 'gloog' thingys. Are they like you?"
"No." Said the alien. "I am but a Kleep. The gloogs are the most dangerous predators of my species. You'll know them when you see them..."
"Okay, thanks for the info. Well, I gotta go. See ya later!" And so Billy dashed off without a second thought, and before he was out of sight, the Kleep yelled to him, "Watch out for Glooglets, Glooginators, Gloogzillas, Tickle Monsters, and Big City Gloogs out there!"
And so Billy Blaze, AKA Commander Keen, began his quest for the Gloogstones.

The rest of the story is plot spoilers, of course :dopefish I think I'm going with the title "Commander Keen and the Secret of Gloogululs" or KEENGLOOG for short. I won't be getting to work on this right away, but it's an idea anyway. You think it's cool?
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

i think it'd be a great idea if it worked, altho i have something to say about the time travel thing...that's it, i'm not sure whether it'd be the ebst idea...

and somewhere i saw on youtube someone actually did a keen skin of doom 2 i think, not a mod, it was basically doom but with keen instead of the doom dude. the skin was in first person with the keen sprites being him walking through the doors
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I like the idea, although I think it may be very difficult to make a 3d game where you only have one hit point. but you may find that out while creating the game. With all the jumping it sounds rather like a tomb raider game than doom.

Good luck with it!
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

tulip wrote:I like the idea, although I think it may be very difficult to make a 3d game where you only have one hit point.
Well actually Crash Bandicoot was able to pull it off (though they did have mask shields and such).
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen in a First-Person Doom Mod?

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:He's shorter than the doomguy, but he will jump much higher.
That's a good one! Especially since there was no jumping at all in DOOM, you know...
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I was making a Commander Keen-themed mod of Doom a few years back and I still have a bunch of sprites, textures, and flats sitting around on my computer somewhere. If you want I could give you what I have. :) (Though much of it isn't that good)
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

you'd have to do something about all the bloodiness in it then...and what would you do with the secret level where you kill 4 keens?
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

jonnyspeight wrote:you'd have to do something about all the bloodiness in it then...and what would you do with the secret level where you kill 4 keens?
You're forced to kill 4 Doom Guys! :smokin
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

And some Wolfenstein guys just to be on the safe side. :) (Can Billy shoot his grampa? :eek)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

True.. I suppose he could, as revenge! Wolfenstein is the reason TUIT wasn't made :(

How about 2 Doom Guys, 2 Wolfenstein Guys and an ID Logo? ( A good way to express our feelings about them for prohibiting the creation of TUIT! )
Ravey
Grunt

Post by Ravey »

I think the BUILD engine might be a better choice, both engines have their pros and cons though.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I consider doom more of the reason Keen got killed off...it was the game when they split off from Apogee, game when Tom Hall left and it was also the darkest game in contrast with any other id games before, even Wolf3D still had some humor (kill cam, whiny guards, excessive blood when killing hitler....not profound humor but alot of exaggeration which counts).

To me it was really when id took a left turn from everything else they made before. Sure Wolf3D DID help id make doom but they also could've used that engine to power a 3D Keen game.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I finished a sprite sheet for all of Keen's frames of animation. It's not that I really took this long. Actually, I just continued my efforts a few days ago :o Not all of them may get used though, and I'm thinking about a swimming animation, but I don't think anybody cares enough what he looks like underwater :dopefish

I read here theres already a Keen skin for doom somewhere, but I don't know where to find it or how decent it looks. I hope you approve of mine more. Now I just need to make a ton of flats and textures, design the HUD and gun, make frames of animation for some of the aliens, make a map or two, etc. and I just might have an alpha ready in around 6 months or so :dead
I'm thinking about changing the storyline to Glooginators stealing Spot's collar and Spot getting impounded by some galactic animal control unit. Of course he couldn't just run out and buy a new collar. He'll have to chase the thieves down to their home planet :dopekeen

Oh and stupidBunny maybe I should've said this weeks ago but it would be cool to see what 2.5D Keen-related art you have. Maybe it would be useful :dopefish
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

In what sense is this a remake of Marooned on Mars?
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

It's not. The poll was just because I wanted to know what Keeners opinions were, and apparently, nobody wants it remade anyway :crazy