Update on Commander Keen Doom...

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
JoeCapricorn
Grunt

Update on Commander Keen Doom...

Post by JoeCapricorn »

I've been very busy with school...

The other thing is, I have a tendency to jump into projects without having any clue how to finish them...

Don't expect this project to be released any time this year... however, it is NOT dead!

I just hadn't had the time to familiarize myself with the GZDoom engine and ACS scripting, but after a kick ass semester at Albright (with a 3.835 GPA) including a class of Java (which has a very similar format to ACS)... one day I decided to open up Doombuilder and mess around.

I'm almost done with the map, I got this big area to finish, then a room that contains the exit, and the monsters, and the difficulty modes and health and ammo placement. Tricky stuff, but I've been at this map for six days and already it is looking goood.

The other thing is, I have no maps uploaded. No one knows me. More than likely, if Keen Doom were to be made, it'd be a community project. I'll release this GZDoom based WAD first, I'm shooting for it to be a megawad or something with at least 10 maps (It's 24 MB already, it has to have some worthy gameplay)

This project also makes use of new monsters, which will be very important to the creation of Commander Keen Doom. All enemies in that mod will be new monsters, all items will be new items, all weapons will be new weapons.

Also, what has inspired me is the discovery of a Wolfenstein 3D clone using ZDoom. This is not the WolfenDoom series, this is an EXACT REPLICA of Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, with the only differences being the features implemented in ZDoom. It has a score, a number of lives, the GET READY loading screen and so on. With the proper amount of time and work, and with the proper know how which is freely available on the internet, everything about Commander Keen can be emulated in the GZDoom engine.

Commander Keen Doom will be a cross community project, so when the time comes (and that time is not quite now, mind you...), I will be asking for help from both PCKF and the Doom community.

Lastly, I have screen shots of this GZDoom map I am making. I put links because I think they are large files...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/J ... 003419.png
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/J ... 003505.png
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/J ... 003550.png

All of those buildings are stacked 3D sectors. There are 3D switches (using an old fashioned 2D vanilla Doom approach and an invisible 3D sector as a collision box)

The scene with all the monsters and the red pillars occurs after one attempts to get the red key. It teleports inside one of the buildings, and those pillars raise and all of those monsters teleport. This map sets the stage for the rest of the series, letting the player know what to expect. There will still be surprises, such as a monster, the Azazel, that can easily defeat a Cyberdemon despite its small size (smaller than a Baron of Hell, it's original HP was 1200 and I changed it to 4800. Cyberdemon is 4000), and a monster that can defeat several Azazels (Thamuz, green Cyberdemon, HP over 9000)

After all of the monsters that teleported into this area are dead, the pillars drop and one can jump onto the roofs of those raised houses, and from there onto the paths.

Although, I find that the Azazels are overall one of the hardest monsters to defeat. They have homing attacks that do lots of damage and don't stop following you.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

kewl, hope everything goes alright, sounds like a good idea, we need more 3d keens
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I really wanna see something like this...

I found that image by accident not too long ago.
ALMN
Vortininja

Post by ALMN »

nice bump and a half
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Scarlet wrote:I really wanna see something like this...

I found that image by accident not too long ago.
:D

I've still got this and all the resources on my computer, although they've been untouched for like 4 years now...