Ultimate Commander Keen 4/Commander Keen 4 Ultimate Edition

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

Do you want me to do this revision to Keen Dreams, Keen 5 and 6 as well?

Yes.
80%
No.
20%
Neutral.
No votes

Total votes: 5

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Ultimate Commander Keen 4/Commander Keen 4 Ultimate Edition

Post by szemi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:11

Well, ladies and gentlemen! I present you my work that took me 2 months (NON-STOP).

Here is:

ULTIMATE COMMANDER KEEN 4

Ultimate Commander Keen 4 (or a.k.a. Commander Keen 4 Ultimate Edition) is a fan-made, enhanced update and an unofficial expansion pack for the original Keen 4 game including several bugfixes (I fixed as many as I could; bugs that can be ignored/avoided and are useful were not fixed) and newer stuff, but also unused features as well that are in Keen 4 Demo, but weren't used in the full version.

Here are the important changed you should know about:
  • On the startup screen, the three year numbers (1991, 1992, 1993) can be found along with the "id Software, Inc." sign, which now has dark blue outline with yellow letters.
  • At the bottom of the loading screen, the game says: "Initializing..." "Loading..." "Ready - Press a key".
  • At the bottom of the startup screen, an "ULTIMATE EDITION - (C)2019 Szemigi" sign has been added.
  • On the terminator text screen, the big "COMMANDER KEEN" sign has dark-cyan shading.
  • On the terminator screen, the letters have blue-yellow color palette.
  • All the demos have been re-recorded.
  • Added (not enterable) stone houses in Slug Village and Hillville.
  • Keen can now jump onto and walk on the roof the stone houses.
  • Help menu can only be called in-game for technical reasons.
  • The "ORDER INFO" has been renamed to "INFORMATIONS", which only mentions how to play Ultimate Keen 4 and how to obtain the other episodes.
  • On the terminator screen the "ID" logo has been changed to "Id" (Keen 1-3 type).
  • "About ID" has been changed to "About id/ME".
  • "About id/ME" now uses 2 types of Id logos: on the first page the current, on the next page the old one is used.
  • All the 15 text colors have been used in the game (except the dark red due to having dark red background color in the game).
  • All the creatures have description.
  • The drop now have image in the help menu.
  • In the "STORY" section, Keen's father and mother now have portraits.
  • The Help now says "COMPUTERWRIST" instead of "COMPUTER WRIST".
  • In the ComputerWrist menu, at the command line parameter section, the game mentions to run "KEEN4E" instead of "KEEN4".
  • The game has two title screens.
  • Added plus 5 unlockable bonus levels:
    • 18. Three-Tooth Lake Shallows
    • 19. Ancient Village
    • 20. Cave of Coolness
    • 21. Desert Town (must be completed)
    • 22. Pyramid of the Allowed (second secret level and energy source level as well)
  • Added a 9th member to rescue: the Oracle Maintainer. (It's plus one member I created myself for this update as a more challenging task.)
  • All the musics - including the demo version of the worldmap, the extended Oasis music, the Bullfrog and the Dopey - has been used.
  • Keen's Neural Stunner is now green in the game (special thanks to Zilem).
  • On the scorebox, Keen's weapon is now green.
  • The High Scores level has now entry text (since it's now level 24).
  • On the high score screen, the name, the score, and the member columns are now wider.
  • In the Perilous Pit level, the "imaginary pole" has been removed.
  • The player can no longer go outside of the Pyramid of the Forbidden.
  • Keen can no longer perform the "air door" trick.
  • The invisible door tile has been fixed.
  • Keen can no longer "teleport" in the Lifewater Oasis level and the unreachable area has become available.
  • The player can no longer sink into the floor in Well of Wishes.
  • The flag no longer clips in front of the scorebox.
  • Joystick 1 and 2, Gravis Gamepad menus now have owner bitmap header.
  • The typos in level entries, level names, Oracle member message window, Oracle Janitor message window have been corrected.
  • The F10+C has been removed for being useless (due to the secondary song list patch that overwrote this cheat).
  • The 1UP sprite that appears after collecting 100 drops is now dark-light cyan.
  • The keygem sprites now look unique.
  • The blue gem and its holder now have normal blue shade.
  • Keen has own separated switch-flicking/door opening sprite.
  • Keen's unused computerwrist-watching sprite has been used as a part of Keen's bored animation.
  • 2 dopefishes have been removed from Well of Wishes and has been put into the other underwater level to avoid memory problems.
  • F10+T, and P cheats now have been removed as well for being unstable.
  • In Cave of the Descendents, the 5 Shikadi Sodas and the 2 waterflasks can now be collected without cheating or dying.
  • In the Pyramid of Shadows, the acid pool's bottom is surrounded by pyramid-type ground tile.
  • Again, in the Pyramid of Shadows, the 7 flasks and the Neural Stunner can now be collected without cheating or dying.
  • Keen cannot escape to the Oracle member via the secret passage in the Pyramid of Shadows (where the 7 flasks and the Neural Stunner are).

Most important thing: Since the game cannot have 3 (only 2) WoW-type scrolling levels, that's why the worldmap has normal level-type scrolling. Extremely sorry for that!

Demo video footage:
https://youtu.be/GHDDo416uDg

Download now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3mhkarwj74b27x/UCK4.zip?dl=0

Rules:

* No unnecessary criticizing and nitpicking like "the loading screen looks dumb" and things like that, etc.!
* No complaining that the new levels are unplayable and each tiles don't look good. (I tested the new 5 bonus levels in hard mode and they can be completed + I tried to make as good new tiles as I could.
* Stop ruining the fun, I worked on this update hard!

* Only and only constructive criticism allowed.
Last edited by szemi on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07, edited 4 times in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!

Awesome-Keener
Grunt

Re: Ultimate Commander Keen 4/Commander Keen 4 Ultimate Edition

Post by Awesome-Keener » Sun Jun 09, 2019 18:55

Nice job. I like the new levels.
Last edited by Awesome-Keener on Tue Jun 11, 2019 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
The Crazy Komet.

Whats being worked on currently.
A new level - 90% complete.
9 of 19 levels complete.

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 21:21

Thanks very much.
Yeah, piece of cake!

Awesome-Keener
Grunt

Post by Awesome-Keener » Sun Jun 09, 2019 22:56

I have a question,
why did you switch the blue and green gems around?
Last edited by Awesome-Keener on Tue Jun 11, 2019 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
The Crazy Komet.

Whats being worked on currently.
A new level - 90% complete.
9 of 19 levels complete.

szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:30

As the original order of colors: red, yellow, green, blue.

As for the color-switching: I didn't have mood to change blue to green REALLY, so I just did recoloring and it won't be changed at all.
Yeah, piece of cake!

stayfrosty
Grunt

Post by stayfrosty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 17:29

The Cave Of Coolness is the best of the new levels IMO