The Crazy Komet

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

The Crazy Komet

Post by Awesome-Keener »

Hello everybody.

I'm a little new here so can anyone tell me how to post images of a mod that I'm making.
And also how create and add a signature to my posts.
Also I hope this is the right place to be announcing a new mod, if not then sorry.

I've already done a lot on this mod so any help on posting images and stuff would be very nice. :begging
Last edited by Awesome-Keener on Sat Jul 13, 2019 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: The Crazy Komet.

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to the PCKF!

To post images, first upload them to an image sharing site like Imgur. The site may give you a fragment of BBCode you can use to embed the image. If not, copy the uploaded image address and put it between [img] and [/img]. So this...

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/keen/images/7/7d/Fleex.png[/img]
...becomes this:

To set a signature, click on your name in the upper-right, select User Control Panel, switch to the Profile tab, and select "Edit signature" on the left. (This may not have been available to you initially as a newly registered user.)

Looking forward to seeing your mod!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

hey there and welcome to the forums!

if you have further questions about the BBCode and stuff, please feel free to post them here. but of course you can also shortcut and consult our FAQ section.

I am curious what your project will look like. looking forward to see some insights
happy modding!
out now (link) : Image
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

Post by Awesome-Keener »

Here we go.

The name of my mod is The Crazy Komet.

The story is that some alien race have powered up a comet and sent it hurling at earth and only Keen can stop it.
This mod takes place after the Atroxian Realm and stuff as you can see.

The tile graphics are about 90% done.
The story is about 70% done.
The sprites are about 30 to 40% done.
The music is about 80% done.
And the patching is about 80% done.

What do you think?
Last edited by Awesome-Keener on Fri Jun 14, 2019 16:29, edited 5 times in total.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh man. Not many first forays look like this. It looks a lot like Atrox Realm meets Dead in the Desert. I think it's excellent that you're building and being inspired off previous works. How much of the tileset is unique to Komet? Is it a matter of copying existing tiles and touching them up a bit? I think we got a little bit of Battle of the Brains in there, too? What are your plans for the creatures? Brand new enemies? Is this Keen4 or Keen5?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

o là là, look at this!
fabulous!
all of a sudden a splendid gallery with marvelous looking screenshots. yummy!
it certainly has this Atroxian Realm touch... wow!
when did you start working on this? looks like you've put a huge effort into this.

looking forward to further news and insights!

ah, and most importantly:
is this going to be a classic mod in the good ol' manner, or are you messing with the source code?
out now (link) : Image
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

Post by Awesome-Keener »

This is a Keen 4 mod.
And about half of the tileset is unique to this mod, I think.
The other half is bits taken from other mods and then changed and/or enhanced in some ways.
As for the enemies I haven't gotten very far on them do to lack of inspiration and good patches.
Most of the patches I have were found on the Keen wiki and other mods and then changed in little ways.
I started working on this mod around Christmas time of 2018.
Last edited by Awesome-Keener on Tue Jun 11, 2019 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Looks really amazing! I wish you good luck on this one and looking forward to play it :D
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

Post by Awesome-Keener »

This will be a classic mod with patches.
The only thing is, I'm not good at all at patching, so who knows how good this mod will be. :o
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

The screenshots look very enticing, I look forward to trying it out!
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

OH GOOD GARG YOU HAVE DONE MY NEW BEAN-WITH-BACON MEGAROCKET DESIGN WELL! :O

Seriously, this is amazing. O_O

*ahem* and the rest of the game looks good too.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Neat! That's very flattering to hear that you're taking inspiration from Atroxian Realm. These screenshots look quite nice, especially the second blue one with the door and the light. I really love the style of that door! Feel free to borrow from the existing AR graphics however you want. It's really fun to see something with a similar aesthetic.

Based on my own experience, I might recommend doing something other than colored symbols as switch indicators. That was something I realized late into AR development; those symbols are very problematic for people with color blindness, especially if you're using red and green. In retrospect, both the colored symbols and the very dense pixel art style (due to low contrast) were definitely a problem for some people in AR. It looks like you're striking a really nice balance with the art style here. Hopefully all that pixel detail and dithering isn't creating too much more work for you; it definitely felt like a lot more to me. :dopekeen

Just curious, is there any particular reason it's set after Atroxian Realm? I'm wondering if you had envisioned any kind of tie in. I'm still planning my own post AR story, but I'd be interested if there were any connections.

I could see sticking with classic patched Keen 4 being tricky since most of the people skilled in patches aren't around much anymore. I can definitely relate to the challenge of figuring out enemies while having limited resources and ability to change things. If you'd like, I could probably locate the AR patch file from back when AR was still based on patches and not source code. Maybe that could provide a helpful resource?

I wish you much luck! Keen modding always seems to take much longer than anticipated, but it seems like you're making great progress. Feel free to reach out if you want any help or advice.

Oh, and maybe I'll end up borrowing that modified BWB sprite based on T-Squared design for Voyage to Veota. I've got some fun ideas about its origin up my sleeves ;)
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

Post by Awesome-Keener »

Thanks for all the complements guys, I really appreciate it.

And thanks for the advice Gridlock, I'll try to change some of the things that might be a problem for color blind people.

It's set after AR for a few reasons, one of them is because it was only after I played AR that I really wanted to look further in to modding the keen games, that's also when I found out about the PCKF and all the tools already made for modding the keen games.
Another reason was because I really liked the new BWB at the end of AR and wanted to make a version of it for in level use.
And the third reason is because I really liked the graphics of AR and wanted to try and match them if I could, I don't think I'll be able to. :no
Other then that theres no connection to AR in any way, it's just set after all of the AR business and stuff.

As for the patches, I already have most of what I need but if I do need some more or different patches I'll let you know. Thanks.

And feel free to use modified BWB Gridlock, considering I took it from AR in the first place.

Oh and I downloaded AR around Thanksgiving time of 2018, so I've only been modding for a very short time. :D
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

Post by Awesome-Keener »

Does anyone think I should post a demo video of the first few levels?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yes please.