Plot of Shadowlands episodes 4-9 revealed!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Plot of Shadowlands episodes 4-9 revealed!

Post by Grandy02 »

Yesterday, I sent a mail to Chris Hendricks a.k.a. Ilsoap, in which I asked him about his old Arachnut picture, which was one of the nominees of the Keen Awards 2002. I also mentioned the Shadowlands animated series and that its storyline after episode 3 is still unknown.

I not only received the Arachnut image, but also brief summaries of episodes 3 to 9 of Shadowlands! Finally, we know about the events after episode 3, including the series' conclusion. Thanks, Ilsoap! :)

The Shadowlands synopses:
Ilsoap wrote: Episode 3, Professor Berke gets sucked up by a Dopefish underwater. He uses the Dopefish like a submarine (since the space where the brain is just a big empty space). Things go well until some Sprites are angry that a Dopefish has entered their space, and they start shooting their lasers at him. Professor Berke gets himself spat back on shore out of desperation, never wanting to enter the water again.

Episode 4 would be Professor Berke's invention of the Berkeloid, which ends up being a difficult foe for both sides, and it gets banished to its own island.

Episode 5, has a montage of battles between the Licks and the Slugs (with the arachnuts heckling off to the side).

Episode 6 has the Licks finally defeating the Slugs, but the Slugs explain that they never wanted to conquer the planet of the Licks... they were forced to leave their home planet by the Shikadi (who wanted to use the slime from their homeworld as fuel). They reach an agreement.

Episode 7 has the members of the planet living generally peacefully. Duke Mushroom is helping Professor Berke in his lab. The rest of the slugs are integrating into society. But the Shikadi return... it turns out that without the slugs to replenish the slime on their home planet, it all dries up. So the Shikadi want the slugs back. The Licks say "not without a fight".

Episode 8 is the battle against the Shikadi. The Shikadi seem pretty unstoppable, but Professor Berke turns the tide by swallowing his fear and diving down, getting eaten by a Dopefish once more. He gets the Sprites to follow him on shore, and the Sprites start blasting the Shikadi with energy weapons. Energy vs energy seems to be effective, and the Shikadi start to disintegrate. But then the Shikadi Master gets involved.

Episode 9 the Shikadi Master goes on an invincible rampage of everything. He appears unstoppable, but Duke Mushroom has been learning science from Berke, and comes up with his own solution... sentient clouds. He creates a gigantic lightning cloud with angry eyes that hits the Shikadi Master with a massive ZAP, and that's enough to destroy the Shikadi with a power overload. The episode ends with everyone on the planet happy, and statues made in the honor of King Slug and King Lick.
And here's the fearsome Arachnut:

EDIT: Swapped the synopses of episodes 4 and 5, per Ilsoap's post.
Last edited by Grandy02 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Re: Plot of Shadowlands episodes 4-9 revealed!

Post by XkyRauh »

Ilsoap is such a cool, creative guy. :) Thanks for gathering this info, Grandy!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I watched the first two Shadowlands episodes about a week or two ago, and they're really cool, and these synopses are just as neat! It's very interesting to know about what we could've gotten! Thanks for sharing the info, Grandy02!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Had this very question after watching these cartoons all those years ago. I'm sure all viewers did. Where would it have gone?
Been a hot minute since I've seen the cartoons. Better go in for a refresher. The future plot is pretty perfect, imo!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

That's so cool! I love the Shadowlands cartoons. It's really amazing that he still had this stuff around, and was able to find it so quickly.
Grandy02 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 20:05 Episode 5 would be Professor Berke's invention of the Berkeloid, which ends up being a difficult foe for both sides, and it gets banished to its own island.
Haha, I suspected this would be how the Berkeloids come about in Ilsoap's story. I even did a quick sketch of what I imagined his characters might look like, back in 2017. Although I guessed that this would take place in the episode called Fire Fighters (that's Episode 4, isn't it?)

Also interesting how this was written as a two-arc story, with the Slug-Lick conflict being resolved before the series end. I wasn't expecting that, really neat.

This is awesome, thanks for doing this Grandy. :D
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Even though I was only the messenger, it's nice to read that you like this. :)
proYorp wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 23:01 Haha, I suspected this would be how the Berkeloids come about in Ilsoap's story. I even did a quick sketch of what I imagined his characters might look like, back in 2017. Although I guessed that this would take place in the episode called Fire Fighters (that's Episode 4, isn't it?)
Nice sketch. :) I thought so, too. But "Fire Fighters" could also refer to the fire-breathing Licks and the necessity to extinguish the fires caused by them.
Ilsoap
Grunt

Post by Ilsoap »

I put Eps. 4 and 5 in the wrong order. My mistake.

Also, hi!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Ilsoap wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 17:45 Also, hi!
The legend himself! :O
Can I just say, your various creations you've made (these animations, Lego Keen, a (unfinished?) fan fiction in the old CK Newsletter) have been inspirational to me. Such wholesome and creative quality. I aspire and hope to reach this level of quality someday, both in any Keen work and otherwise, and I wish you the best in life.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh yeah, Ilsoap is here. Feels almost like a small reunion... Should be the planets alignment or something :D
Btw can someone upload these episodes? I can't find them on the website, neither on youtube.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Ilsoap wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 17:45 I put Eps. 4 and 5 in the wrong order. My mistake.

Also, hi!
Hi there! :) Thanks for paying a visit. I've corrected the order of episodes in the first post.
Roobar wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 19:33 Btw can someone upload these episodes? I can't find them on the website, neither on youtube.
Ilsoap's works should still be available on the ad-heavy Angelfire page, but I recommend the archives of fellow-Keener NY00123. There are also TMST's StrifeToons and many other entertaining things. The following links can be found in the KeenWiki article, too.
Episode 1
Episode 2 preview
Episode 2
Unofficial episode 3

Sillygostly (Unfleexable) uploaded them to YouTube a long time ago, but for some reason they are not available anymore. It would still be nice if the animations were viewable without Flash.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Ah flash, that's why I can't see them. Someone must upload them to youtube.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Here's some Youtube links:

Episode One
Episode Two
Episode Three
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Ilsoap wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 17:45 I put Eps. 4 and 5 in the wrong order. My mistake.

Also, hi!
Hi! I watched the 1st episode again and I must say that it's still got it, after all these years.
The key to its success is a good story arc structure and a good sense of timing for individual scenes. From the quoted synopses, it certainly sounds like the rest of the series would have been just as competent!

I mostly second proYorp's comment. Of your other works, I really liked the unfinished "Rule of a Yorp's Supper" (or was it Dinner?) fangame. About 10 years ago, I arranged its title theme for brass ensemble (perhaps I mentioned it to you at the time, I don't remember). :disguised
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Snortimer wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 20:10

Also, hi!
Hi! I watched the 1st episode again and I must say that it's still got it, after all these years.
The key to its success is a good story arc structure and a good sense of timing for individual scenes. From the quoted synopses, it certainly sounds like the rest of the series would have been just as competent!

I mostly second proYorp's comment. Of your other works, I really liked the unfinished "Rule of a Yorp's Supper" (or was it Dinner?) fangame. About 10 years ago, I arranged its title theme for brass ensemble (perhaps I mentioned it to you at the time, I don't remember). :disguised
Holy f**l, now there's a name I haven't seen / heard in years, even more so than Ilsoap. :O

I was going to say, I'm pretty sure I remember that game being Ilsoap's. I could never solve the underwater level in the demo, but I was still pretty excited at the hope of more of it.
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
No. 1 Machop Fan
Vortininja

Post by No. 1 Machop Fan »

Who wants to do a collab and make the rest of this series? I can provide voices! (Being Aussie I may have to just do Professor Berke).
I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, how could you not love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.