Last movie you saw

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Re: Last movie you saw

Post by Soul Monster »

Been marathoning a lot of horror movies for October. Here's a few highlights:

-Return of the Living Dead
-Poltergeist
-Fright Night
-Matango
-The Blob (1988)
-Shadow of the Vampire
-House (1977)
-The Bloodthirsty Trilogy from Toho studios
-Night of the Living Dead
-Nosferatu
-Phantom of the Opera (1925)
-Dracula (1931)
-Horror of Dracula
-Frankenstein (1931)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I saw Dune this Friday. I was disappointed by the writing, but visually it was truly a spectacle. Would recommend to anyone who also likes the new Star Wars trilogy.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Nospike wrote:disappointed by the writing, but visually it was truly a spectacle.
I think this is current cinema summarised in a single succinct phrase.

I've been severely out of touch with film and cinema for some time now and I need to rectify this.

I think the last movie I watched (apart from re-watching Withnail and I which I do usually on an annual basis) was The Great Beauty (La grande bellezza) which my dad showed me when I was home recently. It's not quite my usual preferred style of film in terms of storyline or storytelling style, but it's always fascinating to be immersed in the current way of life of another culture, in this case Italy. Granted it's not depicting the ordinary Italians but rather the elites, but it still gives insights into their ways of thinking and how they differ from the familiar Anglosphere in which I reside.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:49 Been marathoning a lot of horror movies for October. Here's a few highlights:

-Return of the Living Dead
-Poltergeist
-Fright Night
-Matango
-The Blob (1988)
-Shadow of the Vampire
-House (1977)
-The Bloodthirsty Trilogy from Toho studios
-Night of the Living Dead
-Nosferatu
-Phantom of the Opera (1925)
-Dracula (1931)
-Horror of Dracula
-Frankenstein (1931)
Quite a few classic horror movies there, plus a few I found to be guilty pleasures but still like. Still on the subject of movies, but slightly diverting from the "last movie" I saw, I just wanted to discuss the first few movies that genuinely scared me as a child, here goes:

1) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
2) The Exorcist
3) Carrie
4) Poltergeist
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original)

As much as I like gory horror, I can't remember the last movie I saw that was actually scary.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 20:50
Quite a few classic horror movies there, plus a few I found to be guilty pleasures but still like. Still on the subject of movies, but slightly diverting from the "last movie" I saw, I just wanted to discuss the first few movies that genuinely scared me as a child, here goes:

1) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original)
2) The Exorcist
3) Carrie
4) Poltergeist
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original)

As much as I like gory horror, I can't remember the last movie I saw that was actually scary.
A lot of those movies you listed scared me as a kid too, except for Carrie. Another one that genuinely scared me as a kid was The Thing from 1982, which ended up becoming my favorite horror movie.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 20:43A lot of those movies you listed scared me as a kid too, except for Carrie. Another one that genuinely scared me as a kid was The Thing from 1982, which ended up becoming my favorite horror movie.
The Thing is most definitely a classic. Two reasons that Carrie scared me was her walking around covered in pig's blood and looking totally catatonic was creepy as hell to me. I was afraid of the dark for a long time. Every time the lights went out I would see Carrie following me around everywhere. Plus the jump scare at the end, back when jump scares were actually scary. Now they are over redundant.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 20:01 The Thing is most definitely a classic. Two reasons that Carrie scared me was her walking around covered in pig's blood and looking totally catatonic was creepy as hell to me. I was afraid of the dark for a long time. Every time the lights went out I would see Carrie following me around everywhere. Plus the jump scare at the end, back when jump scares were actually scary. Now they are over redundant.
I can see how that would be frightening to a kid. I guess maybe the reason I wasn't as scared by it was that it was a movie I saw in my later childhood. I also get what you mean about the jump scare, I was also caught off guard by that, and I agree, that one was pretty good. I also agree with what you said about jump scares, with all of the horror movies I've watched, I'm so desensitized to that trope that I can barely muster even a flinch anymore.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Just rewatched Wakko's Wish: the Animaniacs movie.

This is one of my feel good movies, and I have so much nostalgia for this movie. It was the perfect ending to the franchise, and it's great that they were able to throw in a little bit of everything and utilize every character without it turning out as a cluttered mess. Recently I've made it a tradition of watching it every winter, after me and my friend were talking about Animaniacs one night, and he reminded me how back in the day they used to play this on Cartoon Network around Christmas time every year. Before 2020, I probably hadn't seen that movie in almost 20 years, and as I was watching it then, a lot of the visuals jogged my memory and I could vaguely remember back to the times I had seen it back then on TV or in school.

They just don't make animated movies like this anymore, I mean for a direct-to-video movie, it has some really high production values, and the animation is absolutely amazing and still holds up after all these years. Every time I watch it, it always leaves me feeling warm and optimistic.
Roger_Klotz
Vortininja

Post by Roger_Klotz »

I watched Vacation Friends on Hulu and found it absolutely hilarious!
'90s Kids Unite @ the Power Rangers Forum - https://generationz.jcink.net
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

The Fear Street trilogy
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:29 The Fear Street trilogy
Aren't those based on the R.L. Stine books? How were they?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

They are based on the R.L. Stine books, but the 3 movies themselves do not follow any of the stories of the books. The movies are referred to as a trilogy because they follow a new story and each movie references a different time period revealing new information from the central plot that goes full circle at the end. The primary story is about a medieval town that splits into 2 separate towns, one that has not seen a crime of any kind in centuries and the other is the polar opposite, considered to be the murder capital of the world where normal everyday people at random snap and turn into killers from one generation to the next. The latter town is said to be cursed because of a witch who cuts her own hand off in order to make a deal with the devil to become all powerful and immortal, then hanged by the townspeople in 1666. The first movie is Part One: 1994, second movie Part 2: 1978 and Part 3: 1666. For the most part all 3 movies have the same actors in each movie, most playing descendants of people in the previous time periods.

The movies were shot back to back to back and were going to be released in theaters by Fox all in 2019, but that never happened due to Fox being bought out by Disney. So Netflix bought the rights to the trilogy and released each one within 3 weeks segments in late 2019.

Most of the kills are bloody just like any horror fan would like, the story is well told. If you are a horror fan yourself I think you will like the movies, regardless of whether or not you have read any of the books. Me personally, I had never heard of Fear Street until the movies came out. They make me want to check out the books. I liked the trilogy.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I was obsessed with Goosebumps books in the 1990s. Are these Fear Street ones for older readers or also best read at the age of 7?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Benvolio wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:26 I was obsessed with Goosebumps books in the 1990s. Are these Fear Street ones for older readers or also best read at the age of 7?
The books and the movies seem to cater to teens and the early 20's crowd. However, being much older I enjoyed the movies. If you are a big horror fan I think you will enjoy them too.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Syllypryde wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:26
From what you've said about them, it sounds like they stayed true to the books, so that's good. Maybe sometime I'll have to give these a watch.
Benvolio wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:26 I was obsessed with Goosebumps books in the 1990s.
Same. Those books were a big part of my childhood, and even into the 2000s kids were still pretty obsessed with them.

The TV show was pretty good too. A friend of mine recently revisited them and he reminded me of how good those were and how goofy they could get sometimes. I mean, it's VERY 90s what with the outfits and hairstyles, and I also have some nostalgia for those as well.