Anti-climatic???

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Anti-climatic???

Post by Syllypryde »

I just completed all the levels for Aliens Vs Keen but the game will NOT end!!! WTF???

I also ran into a similar problem with Zapping the Zot. In one of the levels, I destroy the "Tantalus Ray" and go to the exit, but in the scoreboard it does not show I destroyed that ray, regardless of how many times I beat the level! Then when I complete all 16 levels and destroy all 8 rays, the game will not end because it thinks I have only destroyed 7 rays!!! Again, WTF??? :dead2
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I don't know if my memory plays tricks on me, but I think I was able to beat the Zot and saw the ending, but I'm not too sure anymore, because Ceilicks old mods all have some small flaws.
You might try starting a new game, godmoding through all the levels, sometimes if you loose a life in a certain level that might take away a done goal again. I know for sure that happens in many Keen1 mods with the 4 items, if you loose a life in the wrong level that item is gone and you'll never get it back. Might also happen in Keen2. You'll have to save and when you loose a life load your game again.

The problem with Aliens vs. Keen is well known, and the ending patch doesn't work most of the time. So you gotta run error.bat start a new game and finish the first level, then you'll see the ending.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

This thread is anti-climatic.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Slightly on-topic: Anyone think that the ending of Keen 3 was anti-climactic? They built it up, as if it was going to be this big surprise, and then... It turns out that the Grand Intellect is a character that wasn't mentioned until that very moment. I mean, if he had some mention anywhere else in the story or something, it'd be somewhat more surprising.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I have to admit I was somewhat let down by it. Mortimer didn't seem very menacing.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The thing that I always wonder is why a kid with a 315 IQ can't come up with an insult better than "Commander Clown." Seriously.

But yeah, I had always thought that the Keen 3 ending would have been more effective if the Grand Intellect had been some character we had known about before. It's not very powerful when Keen shows up and reveals the Intellect to be somebody we had never heard of. The character needs to have appeared before, and given us a reason to be shocked and (possibly) outraged at his identity.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I think what the creators were going for, as far as shock, was not for us to find the identity of the Grand Intellect shocking, but for Keen to. Keen most likely assumed the Grand Intellect would be some alien in some far off galaxy. So it was probably a shock to him that the GI was actually human. Once the ending is revealed in Keen 3, Keen was again shocked that not only was the GI a child, but happened to be Mortimer McMire. Despite the fact his IQ is one point higher, and he liked to bully Keen, he probably never dreamed Mortimer hated the entire universe as much as he supposedly hates Keen.

Keen might have assumed the Grand Intellect would be as easy to defeat as the Vorticons. But upon realizing he was dealing with his childhood nemesis, the shock Keen feels is from knowing not only is his prime enemy formidable, but also that Keen might not be able to stop him. Now we all know Keen is confident he will succeed, but he is also smart enough to realize there is a chance he could fail. Then all he knows and loves will forever be gone!

Patrick

Edit: After 17 years, there is still no end to the fight between Billy Blaze and Mortimer Mcmire. Talk about anti-climatic!!!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees