10 years on

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

10 years on

Post by thehackercat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48

Has it really been so long?

I missed the actual date (back in August) but evidently I joined this forum 10 years ago. (And I'm one of the new guys.)

A lot can change in 10 years. I've been all over the continent and worked all kinds of jobs. My interest here has waxed and waned as real life reared its ugly head. But I'm glad to see this place is still around (and active! Wow - so many new members).

I don't know how often I'll get to check in or if I'll ever get my mod(s) to a playable state. But I'm definitely not gone for good. Here's to another 10 years! :old

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: 10 years on

Post by Benvolio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 22:39

A place like this forum with such earnest interest in its subject matter is very valuable for those who avail of it, and I would encourage you, and those who engage with the PCKF at a similar frequency to you, to keep in touch. Maybe when I first publically engaged with the Keen community about 15 years ago I didn't have much of an active social life but nowadays I have a perfectly adequate (for me) personal and professional social circle, so rather than in some way substituting for a social life, the PCKF rather supplements it nicely.

Also, it is very healthy for the forum to have an expanded nebula of longstanding adherents, however infrequently they are active, to keep the activity of the more regular contributors buoyed afloat. The numbers of new contributors seems to have significantly decreased over the past 5 years. This makes it all the more important to have a solid base of users in at least some sort of contact. It is sad to see some people completely vanish, despite having been daily posters and in some cases having four figure post counts.

Do keep us updated about any of the interesting IRL stuff you get up to, I know you had some very interesting tales to tell in the past on here! I probably miss out on the "real" PCKF content because I never bothered to do the instant messaging stuff.

And as for mods, it can be difficult to get something to completion at a standard that one is happy with. We all have this problem. But at least with Vorticons it is fairly feasible to get something acceptable completed once one has had a burst of somewhat sustained inspiration.

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD » Fri Sep 20, 2019 14:19

Always good to see you THC, happy decaversary on the forums :birthday
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.

NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 18:37

Joining this thread somewhat late, great to see that you've rechecked the place!

It's recently been past 10 years for me as well...

According to my logs, I joined the old #pckf IRC channel back on Sep 5 2009; As for these forums, I joined them about a day later. The main reason (or so I (mis)remembered?) was this one level pack I worked on back then, but my actual first post seemed to be about Keen 8: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=762&p=16258#p16258

shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 23:08

My 10 years passed by quietly as well. :o
nothing usefull here