Do you play pokemon?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Do you play pokemon?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm curious if any of you happen to be hardcore pokemon players. Not the casual kind who beat the E4 then stop, but REAL competitors who go through the arduous process of IV breeding, EV training, etc. to build competitive teams. I happen to have two boxes full of my "A-Team" pokes for online battling :disguised

EDIT: WOAH! I am now a Vorticon Elite :eek How did that happen?

EDIT 2: Oh, this is my 314th post. Sweet! :garg :pogo :rollin :yorp :D
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:44, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nope. Not interested in them.

314 posts, IIRK. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

no
i wish pokemon was dead
(i used to be ME!)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I eat pokemon.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Man do you guys have to be so mean about it? :dead
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I like the old ones. The new ones just don't have the same feel as Red/Blue and Gold/Silver.
I remember starting a game on either Yellow or Red, with the hopes of going through and catching every single Pokemon (well, as many as possible without trading... it was on an emulator, so I wasn't able to)

I don't really play the games that often, though. Just on occasion when I'm bored.
Aroenai
Vortininja

Post by Aroenai »

*raises hand*

Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal are the best ones but the two gba remakes of the first games are good too. The newer games have no resemblance to the originals, it's kinda sad.

@Genius314
red and blue use the same save game format, you could just rename the same files and load them with the other rom. same for gold and silver. If you have the Mega Memory Card for gameboy that interact released years ago you can transfer the sames on the real games. There's an emulator that lets you load two different roms and trade but I forget the name... it started with a T?

Has anyone else replaced the battery on their pokemon cartridges? Soldering wires and attaching a battery with electrical tape works great.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

i do not play them anymore
but when i was younger i did
stopped with it about 2-3 years ago
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Aroenai wrote:@Genius314
red and blue use the same save game format, you could just rename the same files and load them with the other rom. same for gold and silver. If you have the Mega Memory Card for gameboy that interact released years ago you can transfer the sames on the real games. There's an emulator that lets you load two different roms and trade but I forget the name... it started with a T?
Awesome. I probably would have never thought of that. (I was planning on playing as far as I could, and then cheating... but this is much better)
Aroenai wrote:Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal are the best ones but the two gba remakes of the first games are good too.
I've played Red, Yellow, Silver, Crystal, and Ruby versions. I lost red (along with my gameboy... :(), although it was my favorite game. Yellow became my favorite after that. Silver was cool, and Crystal was a bit of an improvement. It was anti-climactic, though, with the whole Unown thing that they put in there. Ruby was decent, but started to deviate from the original feel of the games.
My brother still plays the newer games, and from what I've seen, they don't look too appealing. The new Pokemon aren't even drawn in the same style.

Nerd Warning: Also, a few days ago, I downloaded the original chiptunes from Red/Blue and Gold/Silver. Mmm... nostalgia! 8)
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

memsys wrote:no
i wish pokemon was dead
I guess Nintendo has to be dead first, which is rather unlikely these days. :p

On topic, I've played most of the games from first and second generation and a few from the third generation. I have yet to play any game from the current generation, but that will surely happen some day, since I still consider myself a Pokémon fan.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

I've been holding off on this gen until the inevitable third version came out. Now that it has, I'm sure I'll get back into the franchise soon enough.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I played them casually. Nowadays I don't really play the ones I have anymore (Yellow, Gold, Silver, Emerald) because the gameplay just got boring for me.

I spent a good bunch of years on 'em though. The games definitely are good for a while. But like with most RPGs, once you get really strong it kind of gets boring because you can go through anything easily. And I'm really not into the whole collecting part of the games. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Now with the whole battling over the internet thing, "being too strong" isn't so much of a problem because you're guaranteed to fight a real human being who is a million times better than you :dead2

I'll agree that the single player adventure portion of it has grown old and tired, but the multiplayer aspects just keep improving. But to really take advantage of multiplayer, you'd need to know just about every small detail of the inner mechanics of the game and spend a million years raising pokemon who are actually worthy of competitive play. Unless you're an addict like me, wifi battling is completely moot if you're just casually playing for fun (unless you battle within a group of other casual players, or, like many people do, cheat :p )

But yeah, it's insidious the way it was designed so you NEED multiple DS's (or a wii) and possibly other game versions just to "collect them all", or transfer your pokes between games, or just upgrading to be most up-to-date on all the latest features. Nintendo and Game Freak are rolling in billions for a reason :dopekeen
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

I love Pokémon. Especially the first and second generation...

I hate the fourth generation though. (I even sold my Pokémon Emerald. That's the first and only time I've ever sold a game... and I don't even regret it! :S)

I've considered buying Pokémon Platina/Platium (???), but is it worth it?
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

It's the DS one, right? The story seems to decline further in unoriginality, but I think it's a good buy because of the online battles. Or so I've heard.
Wow look at me I'm lurking