Any plans of porting Commander Genius to the libretro API (RetroArch)?

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
Gagster
Vortininja

Any plans of porting Commander Genius to the libretro API (RetroArch)?

Post by Gagster »

I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with the libretro API, but I suppose it's mostly known for being the format that RetroArch uses to run all of its so called libretro cores (RetroArch being the official frontend to the libretro API).

I suppose the libretro API could to some extent me compared with SDL in terms of portability; nowadays a whole lot of existing emulators have been ported over to the libretro API, and even various game engine re-implementations have gotten its libretro ports as well (such as PrBoom & vita Quake 3). RetroArch also includes an Online Updater, so it's quite easy to update the libretro cores to the newest version.

The nice thing with RetroArch is that it maps the gamepads automatically, has its own video drivers (support for all kind of aspect ratios and screen scaling), has a nice user interface with a whole lot of options and much more.

Maybe Commander Genius could get a bit more exposure if it was ported over to the libretro API?
enderandrew
Meep

Re: Any plans of porting Commander Genius to the libretro API (RetroArch)?

Post by enderandrew »

I'd love to see this as well.

People could play Keen games on more devices and places if the engine was a part of RetroArch.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Re: Any plans of porting Commander Genius to the libretro API (RetroArch)?

Post by gerstrong »

If I had more time for such things, but I have not, sorry. Not right now, but if someone wants to port it I would be able to help a bit.
Having fun developing stuff...