Problem mounting nessie in keen3

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
MrDoomguy
Meep

Problem mounting nessie in keen3

Post by MrDoomguy »

I’m not sure whether I’m doing something very wrong, or whether I found a problem in Commander Genius. After waiting for the Nessie monster in Keen 3 I have trouble mounting it. Incan walk next to it and I tried even various keys but it always ends up leaving without Keen.
In case I’m missing something please do tell!

Thanks
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Problem mounting nessie in keen3

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

MrDoomguy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 13:23 I’m not sure whether I’m doing something very wrong, or whether I found a problem in Commander Genius. After waiting for the Nessie monster in Keen 3 I have trouble mounting it. Incan walk next to it and I tried even various keys but it always ends up leaving without Keen.
I guess this is a bug in Commander Genius. Try updating CG to the most recent version, just in case. I can't help you with CG any further than this.

In the original DOS version, you just need to wait for Messie to appear. As soon as Messie touches Keen, Keen automatically sits in Messie's back. You don't need to press any key at all (except to move closer to Messie if the sprites aren't touching). To get off Messie's back, just press the appropriate direction key to move Keen to the shore.

PS: Fleexy kindly moved your thread into the Commander Genius subforum. I hope this makes it more likely that gerstrong will read this when he drops by.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
grimbo
Meep

Post by grimbo »

Can confirm that you can't mount Messie in the latest version (v2.4.1, Win32). Oddly enough, in the current version Messie approaches the shore from the northeast (circling around the northern part of the island in a clockwise direction) instead of the south/southwest like in the original version, which might be what is causing this issue.

EDIT: had the directions mixed-up, added more clarity.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Thanks for the report.

It should work when Nessie is near and you press a button. I will change that so Keen automatically mounts her. Makes total sense.

I have created a ticket for that

https://gitlab.com/Dringgstein/Commande ... issues/375

and will fix the issue as soon I can.
Having fun developing stuff...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Got it fixed. Thanks for noting. In Version 2.4.2 Messie is going to be mountable again.
Having fun developing stuff...