Should Keen Mobile get included in the KeenWiki?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Should Keen Mobile get included in the KeenWiki?

Post by Quillax »

Quite a while ago, there was that Commander Keen reboot for smart phones. It's very different from the original games and reactions are about 99.9% negative, making it comparable to Keen GBC. So far, though, there has yet to be a section for this game on the KeenWiki. I think Keen Mobile (as I think it should be called) should get one, as it is related to Commander Keen, no matter how different it may be from the originals. The admins will have to pitch in to get it set up, though, at least for updating the main page. There's also the big question, which is the main reason why I'm starting this topic: How will it be maintained, and who will do it?

While Keen GBC at least plays like a platformer, Keen Mobile goes for a totally different genre. While we might use some of the same templates from other episodes, we'll probably have to either make changes to them or create new ones. For instance, we would, instead of using the typical enemy infobox, likely create a new one specifically made for the Keen Mobile enemies. (Maybe the enemies that appeared in both one of the originals and Keen Mobile should get separate pages for each gameplay style?)

How many people have the game, let alone those who would be willing enough to gather knowledge from it and add that into the KeenWiki? If no one is gonna be interested in the project, then it's probably not worth the effort to do it if will end up looking really incomplete for as long as the wiki lasts. If that's the case, I think we should at least acknowledge it in some other form. Maybe make a page, but don't cover specific details like the story, enemies, or anything else that would require a new page?

What are your thoughts on this?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Should Keen Mobile get included in the KeenWiki?

Post by Nisaba »

quick answer: nope!

- first of all there are still so many pages needing more information. so, if you know anything about an article listed here, please contribute! entries on this todo list should get addressed first before we start with something new.

- secondly, for several reasons this mobile game isn't a Commander Keen game at all and therefore not part of the legacy. this has been discussed multiple times before. Even if named the same way like the good old classics it doesn't even feature our beloved main character. Seems like Mortimer is testing us...
:mort
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

It should definitely have a Keenwiki page.
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

yes, and also the Commander Keen cameo appearances in Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Its existence should at least be acknowledged. If someone creates a page called "Commander Keen (mobile game)" ("Keen Mobile" as redirect) with general information on the story, gameplay and stuff, I'll add a link on the Main Page (the respective Keen sprite should be uploaded, too).
But due the aforementioned large number of incomplete pages and the fact that dozens of fan-made games don't even have a page so far, not too much energy should be spent for it, not to mention that version 1.0 of the mobile game isn't even out yet.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:45 - first of all there are still so many pages needing more information. so, if you know anything about an article listed here, please contribute! entries on this todo list should get addressed first before we start with something new.
Grandy02 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 14:28 But due the aforementioned large number of incomplete pages and the fact that dozens of fan-made games don't even have a page so far, not too much energy should be spent for it, not to mention that version 1.0 of the mobile game isn't even out yet.
I'm aware that there are many pages that need to be created or expanded, which applies to pretty much every wiki to be honest. Who knows, if we do create a page for Keen Mobile, maybe there will be some people that will come in and add info about the game, while the rest of us can focus on the other stuff. After all, it's a wiki, meaning anyone can contribute to it. :)

Grandy02, how do you know that the game isn't in version 1.0 or above? I've seen it at Google Play (link), and I don't see any mention of the version.
Nisaba wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:45 - secondly, for several reasons this mobile game isn't a Commander Keen game at all and therefore not part of the legacy. this has been discussed multiple times before. Even if named the same way like the good old classics it doesn't even feature our beloved main character. Seems like Mortimer is testing us...
:mort
While it's true that the game doesn't actually feature Commander Keen himself nor does it have the classic Keen gameplay, there are still at least a few Commander Keen elements. I mean, there are Yorps, Gargs, Vorticons, Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket, SGA, etc. Some may look different, but you can still recognize them. I say it has more in common with Commander Keen than some of the mods and fangames documented in KeenWiki, such as Commander Keens Trek 96 (link). That one actually has nothing to do with Commander Keen bar the name.

Is there any evidence of these discussions? Are these outside of the forums? On the Discord perhaps? No offense, but you're the only one I've seen that doesn't want the game to be acknowledged so far.

If we do come to the consensus that Keen Mobile isn't a Keen game, then I'm sure we can still acknowledge it, but it would be in the cameo appearances page.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Quillax wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:58 Is there any evidence of these discussions? Are these outside of the forums? On the Discord perhaps? No offense, but you're the only one I've seen that doesn't want the game to be acknowledged so far.
sent you a pm with more details, insights and behind the scene protocols, which should stress my point...
out now (link) : Image
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Quillax wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:58 Grandy02, how do you know that the game isn't in version 1.0 or above? I've seen it at Google Play (link), and I don't see any mention of the version.
Under "Additional Information" near the bottom of the page, it reads "Updated: December 10, 2019" and "Current Version: 0.2.1921204".
Quillax wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:58 I say it has more in common with Commander Keen than some of the mods and fangames documented in KeenWiki, such as Commander Keens Trek 96 (link). That one actually has nothing to do with Commander Keen bar the name.
I wondered about that one, too. It's an unrelated game where some business put Keen's name on the packaging and disc in the hope of increasing sales. It would be odd to exclude Keen Mobile while Trek 96 has its own page at the same time (but even if Trek 96 was moved to Cameo Appearances, I still think Keen Mobile should at least get an article).
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

maybe under the fangame section, lol
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Well it's an official game, so yeah.
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Having never worked on a Wiki before, but having an idea of how chaotic they can be, I'd say wait for the game to actually come out before making articles about it. There's not even much information to go off of, outside of "Bethesda showed a couple teasers for it at E3 2019, with a release date set for later that year, and everyone hated it, so they just didn't release it in 2019, and we haven't heard from them since, and Bethesda is literally Satan."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Uhm, actually, the game is already out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... manderkeen But it's only in a few selected countries.
Lower IQ than 314
Vortininja

Post by Lower IQ than 314 »

Huh, that's news to me. :foot However, a cursory glance tells me all I need to know: the genre is listed as "Strategy", it's rated Teen--because what Commander Keen was really missing all these years was edgy Ratchet and Clank-esque innuendo and humor, fucl jokes notwithstanding--consistent reports of glitches and terrible controls in the user reviews, the presence of cards, in-app purchases that can go from $5-100 per item, and a rating of 1.9/5 from the fans, which, going off of everything else, sounds pretty generous.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

The game is literally called Commander Keen; it belongs in the wiki. Our views on it don't make its existence an untruth.

Thanks for the link Roobar, interesting to read the reviews and dev responses.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Well it is a Keen game so it should be on there I suppose. Here ya go!

This is a joke obviously...Had way too much time on my hands today apparently...
Last edited by 55Aavenue on Tue May 19, 2020 23:15, edited 1 time in total.