The Earth Implodes

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

The Earth Implodes

Post by Benvolio »

Hello all, I hope you are keeping well.

I'm not sure to what extent interest still exists for the humble Keen1 mod.

Nevertheless, here's one which I've made in the past two months or so, please check it out and let me know what you think.

Yes it's a bit challenging in parts but hopefully overall it's adequately balanced in its difficulty, if not for a beginner player, at least for the average Keen player.

And yes the SGA thing is a bit of a gimmick, probably quite annoying... but it looks cool which is all that matters!

Click here to learn more on the Workbench.

Or just click here for the download link.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Earth Implodes

Post by Roobar »

This year explodes in mods compared to the last one! Well done! Looks dope for a 2 month mod. The higher difficulty drives me a little back, not gonna lie. But will check it anyways.

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Far out that title screen is cool.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

When I apply the shooting patch (http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:K ... Vorticons) ) something weird happens to the game. Like colors changing.

When I apply the infinite lives patch (http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Patch:L ... nite_lives) it doesn't work.

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Which shooting patch were you trying to apply?? I'm sure there's plenty of potentially clashing patches in the game.

I was hoping that there would be ample opportunities to gain "extra keens" especially with the heightened value of point items but perhaps this needs fine tuning.

There will already need to be a version 1.1, as I have gone and made an egregious typo on the title screen.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The #Change the controls to Space, shoot; Enter, status.

Your mod is hard. I like some challenge, if I have unlimited lives. But I don't like to load every time I lost a live/ all lives.

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

It's so hard to gauge how difficult a mod should be.

For instance, galaxy mods, which dominate the scene nowadays, I find very hard. I am constantly saving game as I play through Ocflore for instance. I understand that a vorticons mod is different because no in game saving, but I think it still has to be possible to have difficult situations in Vorticons mods. KeenRush has done this many times. I accept that many parts of my new effort are quite tricky but in many cases, some trial and error will show the player that there is a very easy solution for *some* of the challenges, especially where the garg robots are concerned.

Unfortunately, the modder is at a disadvantage over the game developer. If this exact mod was retailed in 1992 for $15.99, you'd have every nine year old in every school comparing notes about how they had dealt with each part and no-one would rest until they had the game beaten. But when modding a 30 year old game, one's audience will try once or twice, then say "meh" and go do something else.

Anyway for this game, the levels are not massive (mostly 50x50 tiles) so hopefully the map saving will suffice. The relatively closed map is a conscious decision, which some people won't appreciate, but it ensure more of the 12 levels are played.