I want to finally share a fangame that I've made in Unity. I started learning how to use unity as well as coding in general at the beginning of this year, using Keen galaxy as a template to learn from seeing as it was one my favorite of the games I grew up with in the good 'ol 90's.
So what I've done is strung the first three levels of keen 4 together (including the bean w/bacon megarocket level) without enemies, hazards, or moving platforms. They're not perfect copies, but they're pretty close. This game's main purpose is as a kind of demo for me to add features to until I have the functionality I need to make the fangame that I plan to make, but seeing as it stands on it's own as a simple time attack, super smash bros style "break the targets" game I figured I would put this in the release forum.
To anyone who downloads and plays the game: I would be so so incredibly grateful if you could leave your opinion on how closely I've been able to mimic the feel of the Keen Galaxy games as well as any bugs you run into! Feel free to go into as much detail as your willing to, the more feedback I hear the better I can make this!
To help aid myself in cleansing my game feel palette so to speak I'm going to take the next few days to a week off of this project and spend all my free time playing the awesome looking mods around here! That way, when I come back to this I'll more easily be able to sense any differences between this game and the originals. On that note, there are some things I want to list to save people the time of pointing out things I am aware of:
- The camera doesn't behave exactly the same way as keen galaxy. I spent over a month trying to get it right, instead of making it 2 months I called it good seeing as it's somewhat close and the final product I'm going for isn't going to have quite the same camera behavior as the original keen games.
- The player is not yet able to enter houses/doors, this is one of the functionalities I still need to learn how to implement.
- The drop through grassy platforms that are to the right of the bean w/bacon megarocket are solely there for testing purposes. They don't function as an integral part of the gameplay or level design.
- The secrets are made to look very out of place to aid the non-keeners that I'll share this with
- The falling sound is missing, I couldn't find it anywhere. I got the sounds that were uploaded by levellass here: https://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=2896 but I cant for the life of me find the falling sound in there or anywhere else. I also tried using keenwave to rip them myself but It wont work on my computer for reasons I'm not yet computer literate enough to know. (maybe because I'm using windows 10?)
- The music is a good deal more quiet than the originals, I've always thought the music overpowered the other sounds. I didn't even know keen had footstep sounds until yesterday! Let me know If you guys think it's too quiet.
- Keen's running frames are slightly off, which keeps his head in place as he runs instead of moving forward with each step. This was unintentional, but I didn't fix it because I never was a fan of the chicken-like head bob. Let me know what you guys think about this change as well!
movement/look up/look down - arrow keys or wasd
shoot - space bar
jump - right ctrl or "v"
pogo - right alt or "c"
Also, Unfortunately I have yet to learn how to implement a menu system so In order to restart you have to close and reopen the game.
Granted, I'm the one who placed the targets and I've run through this a lot, see if you can beat my best time! I tried my best to place the targets in a way that allows for the optimization of runs.
Current best time:
Let me know if any of these don't work! This is my first time building and sharing a game, as well as my first time using Dropbox.
Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8la7riio3cdh ... hsRva?dl=0
Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f8kx66hwdprp ... HUFJa?dl=0
Linux: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oglmx8y47t0w ... DowOa?dl=0
Thank you so much for your time and have a wonderful day everyone!