Hi, I'm new and doing some stuff.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Hi, I'm new and doing some stuff.

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

Hello, recently I have begun a journey to play every Keen 1 Mod and rate them on how fair/possible they are, if they have a story and how much I would like to play them again. I'm currently about 1 third of the way through the Keen 1 mods, which means I have played most of the old level packs and am getting into the more interesting mods.

After remembering how computers work and what numbers are, I have started work on my own Keen 1 Levelpack (with some changed graphics). In it, Keen goes back in time to stop the vorticons from Marooning him on mars, in order to give himself more time to stop Mortimer in the present.
Keen uses a new time traveling rocket instead of the BwB Megarocket (I got tired of rebuilding it in all those level packs) and has to go through 4 levels to leave Mars (again) after distracting the Vorticons from his past self.

I also changed the Blue "D" keycard to the red "V" keycard and made a door to match. Keen will have to get past the Vorticons to get the keycards to beat the levels.

While trying to work out the level size limit (this is where I had to remember how numbers work), I found out that when I make the slightly over the limit I get a stripey glitch screen. One of the glitch screens was a pretty blue pattern that I thought looked like a wall paper like the Polka-dot one in Keen 3, So I decided to use it as background for buildings in the level pack!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Hi, I'm new and doing some stuff.

Post by troublesomekeen »

Very nice! That is quite an undertaking. Hours and hours of gameplay, and a lot of it none too easy.
Welcome to the PCKF :yorp
Good luck on your mod! Are you using Mindbelt to build your levels?
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Oct 06, 2020 0:34, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

Yes, I'm using Mindbelt and the tutorial on the wiki. I have implemented 2 and a half of the ship parts already. Next I need to polish the 3rd one, add the 4th one, and then replace BwB-megarocket graphics, then make the levels. It will hopefully be the first of a trilogy.

Here's that glitch screen:

And here it is in the game:

And here is the Commander Keen time machine. Lean Keen Machine? I don't know:

Top is me trying (and failing) to draw it. (I suck at drawing)
Bottom is me realizing that the easiest way to draw something that looks like a helicopter body with a chimney on the back, is to draw a helicopter body and then put a chimney on the back. :dopekeen Maybe I Don't suck at drawing that much.

I've had many a dur moment, but it's been fun. :-b
Last edited by CHOCOLATE MILK on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Welcome to PCKF :)
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Welcome!! Great to see some attention for Keen1 - one fears that Keen1 modders could easily outnumber Keen1 mod players. I like your mod premise and your tales in the forbidden underworld of corrupted Keen1 levelscapes, first encountered by me when pressing "F8" in the original ver 1.0 game.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

CHOCOLATE MILK wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:57 Yes, I'm using Mindbelt and the tutorial on the wiki. I have implemented 2 and a half of the ship parts already. Next I need to polish the 3rd one, add the 4th one, and then replace BwB-megarocket graphics, then make the levels. It will hopefully be the first of a trilogy.

Here's that glitch screen:

Top is me trying (and failing) to draw it. (I suck at drawing)
Bottom is me realizing that the easiest way to draw something that looks like a helicopter body with a chimney on the back, is to draw a helicopter body and then put a chimney on the back. :dopekeen Maybe I Don't suck at drawing that much.

I've had many a dur moment, but it's been fun. :-b
HI, CHOCOLATE MILK
Welcome to the forum. I see in this post the images don't work. To put an image you must click on your image, press copy link address, and put that link between [img] and [/img]. Here it is
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

When I right click on the word "image" and left click "view image" I can see them, and I'm pretty sure I did it right. I just assume there not shown directly because I didn't make enough posts yet? :confused
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

CHOCOLATE MILK wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:37 When I right click on the word "image" and left click "view image" I can see them, and I'm pretty sure I did it right. I just assume there not shown directly because I didn't make enough posts yet? :confused
Strange. Visit the FAQ section of the PCKF or send a private message to Fleexy. He can help you
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

here's the deal. to display your images make sure to add the filename extension as a sufix . in your case this would be .png. The extension indicates a characteristic of the file contents or its intended use, in your case it indicates a displayable image.

things should look like this:

Code: Select all

https://imgur.com/2Au21of.png
result:
CHOCOLATE MILK wrote:Here's that glitch screen:

out now (link) : Image
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

It works now, thanks.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:48 here's the deal. to display your images make sure to add the filename extension as a sufix . in your case this would be .png. The extension indicates a characteristic of the file contents or its intended use, in your case it indicates a displayable image.

things should look like this:

Code: Select all

https://imgur.com/2Au21of.png
result:
CHOCOLATE MILK wrote:Here's that glitch screen:

How did I not notice it
P. S. Cool graphics
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

I've made it to The Perilous Pursuit and am nearly half way through the Keen 1 mod list. Of course I'm using cheats on levels that get to long/hard in order to save time, but I'm trying to play as much as I can without cheats.

I've implemented all the new graphics in my mod, which is called Commander Keen Old Times episode 1:Back On Mars. Not the most creative name, but alas.
Here is the title screen, which is an edited version of the unused title screen I found on the wiki (where is that one from anyway?)

I've made the general structure of the first level and it is based on the map sprite of the first level in Keen 1, which by the way, I've only recently got a good look at and realized what it is. It's actually just 3 glass domes covering blue buildings and skyscrapers, but I always just saw it as 3 weird round blue alien building with lines on them. I can't believe, for over 10 years and with all that I've researched, that I didn't pay attention to the first level. Well I know everything about Keen now! :crazy
Anyway, yeah, the level is based on those blue city's and in it Keen can walk around the happy yorp rooms or go outside to look at the dark mars sky. :)
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

CHOCOLATE MILK wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 14:34 I've made it to The Perilous Pursuit and am nearly half way through the Keen 1 mod list. Of course I'm using cheats on levels that get to long/hard in order to save time, but I'm trying to play as much as I can without cheats.

I've implemented all the new graphics in my mod, which is called Commander Keen Old Times episode 1:Back On Mars. Not the most creative name, but alas.
Here is the title screen, which is an edited version of the unused title screen I found on the wiki (where is that one from anyway?)

I've made the general structure of the first level and it is based on the map sprite of the first level in Keen 1, which by the way, I've only recently got a good look at and realized what it is. It's actually just 3 glass domes covering blue buildings and skyscrapers, but I always just saw it as 3 weird round blue alien building with lines on them. I can't believe, for over 10 years and with all that I've researched, that I didn't pay attention to the first level. Well I know everything about Keen now! :crazy
Anyway, yeah, the level is based on those blue city's and in it Keen can walk around the happy yorp rooms or go outside to look at the dark mars sky. :)
It comes from Keen 1 Gold, I think. BTW happy modding
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Hi, welcome to the Keen community, CHOCOLATE MILK! I hope Keen doesn't try to drink you, he had a BIG chocolate milk obsession on the Omegamatic (but not as bad as tart stix nor sugar bags)! I like that you've been playing through all of the Keen 1 mods available!

New mods are always welcome, and so are people that are getting started with modding! I like how your's sounds so far! That's a cool background! Who knew you could get neat ideas from glitches? As far as the old title screen goes, I know John Romero once posted it on Facebook (topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3311). That's the only source I know, however, and the file was uploaded to the wiki before that post.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
CHOCOLATE MILK
Grunt

Post by CHOCOLATE MILK »

Wow, I've been playing Keen 1 mods everyday for a month! I've been through a lot of garg spam :garg , keydoor abuse :stoned and hard levels :mortlol , but the mods seem to be getting better as I go. I'm closing in on the end, I only have about 30 mods left!

I have fished the first 2 of my levels, except for point items, and am working on the 3rd. Here's the story screen: