Rules for play

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Webster.Pastapali
Grunt

Rules for play

Post by Webster.Pastapali »

Hello. The doom modding community or at least the purest players who enjoy the commercial releases seem to unanimously agree that the best way to play is Ultra Violence with pistol starts and no saves. Does the keen community have a preferred players’ ethic when it comes to difficulty level, how often you save, and item acquisition?
I plan to play a lot of mods including Ceilick’s unofficial sequel trilogy and dark ale’s robot attack trilogy (third part looks stunning). I want to do it right, but my time is limited.
I was thinking about just saving for every two levels completed and attempting full level exploration. Could someone please weigh in? Assuming I don’t have endless time, how best can I enjoy all of these beautiful fan made keen games!!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Rules for play

Post by DarkAle »

In the community there are members who play in one way others in another. For example, Shikadi-Network plays in two ways: the first by frequently saving and shooting dangerous enemies, the second by trying not to shoot. On the other hand, I play by shooting often but only in places where I believe there is something that could be dangerous. Also I try never to start a level over. Anyway thanks for wanting to play my trilogy. I wanted to tell you that Keen 14 is the second part and not the third while The Armageddon Continues is a sequel to Keen 13, The Ultra Omegamatic

P. S Another mod you must absolutely play is Atroxian Realm by Gridlock
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It seems that most keeners first play on easy or medium and then on hard. There's no such rule here that is similar to the Doom's community for going hardcore. Some have tried, but it's not that popular thing. Doom and Keen are so different as well. The difficulty of the mods is much higher than the original Keens on one hand, and the original Keens are harder than Doom because of the 1 hit=death on the other hand. So you decide. Without in-level saving you would spend a lot of time doing levels over and over again. If you have that time and nerves - good.
Webster.Pastapali
Grunt

Post by Webster.Pastapali »

Thank you, Dark Ale and Roobar.
Looking forward to playing your mods, Dark Ale. And the Antroxian Realm is also in my basket
Trevor_trev
Grunt

Post by Trevor_trev »

Wow, that's crazy! I'm a total wuss when playing doom, hurt me plenty is the highest I'll go. Ultra violence and nightmare scare me lol.

As far as keen, I can't speak for the community as I've never been an active member, I've only recently joined these forums. As for myself, I like to play on medium difficulty and I only allow myself to save in the overworld map, or while hanging onto a pole, a kind of savepoint situation so to speak. I don't like savescumming but I also don't have the patience to deal with playing through an entire level two or more times.