Hey kids

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
StupidBunny
format c:

Hey kids

Post by StupidBunny »

God damn it's been a while. Not sure how many of you pups will remember me.

I think the last time I was active on the PCKF was in like...2014? Early 2015 maybe? So much has happened in my life and the larger world since then that I won't bother to delve into it.

I saw that a new (official) Commander Keen game came and went. Can't say it looked very interesting to me.

I wish I had some new mod or something to share with everybody but unfortunately Keen modding was not one of the things I've been busy with the last 6 years :'( However if any of you happen to own an Atari 2600 I have a modest homebrew project I'll be able to throw you in hopefully the next couple weeks ;) There's also those Doom maps I started back in 2010 and still occasionally work on, but...damn, those still aren't done either.

What's been happening in Keen World in my absence? It looks like people are still modding and that some real cool projects have come through in that time.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Hey kids

Post by Roobar »

Aah, always a pleasure seeing someone coming back (from the dead) after a long time! WB!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

StupidBunny wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:05 What's been happening in Keen World in my absence? It looks like people are still modding and that some real cool projects have come through in that time.

Now there are new modders like Nisaba, 55Aavenue, Awesome-Keener and me, DarkAle.
Atroxian Realm was finally released in 2016 and Nisaba is now working on Foray in the Forest. 55Aavenue is working on a new trilogy, Goodbye Galaxy Rebooted and I'm continuing Keen's story with the Robot Attack trilogy. I'm now working on the 2nd episode
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

oh yes! another Atari 2600 homebrew project. so what is all about? what's the premise of your game?
there are some neat Atari 2600 homebrews out there. I had the chance to get my fingers on a couple of them and enjoyed most of them. so I'm curious to hear/see in which direction your project is heading
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Hi StupidBunny! Thanks for stopping by! It always brightens my day to have one of the previous frequent contributors make a reappearance - really validates the importance at a personal level of what we're all celebrating here on pckf. Others with similar previous history of being a mainstay of the community have made appearances of late (for instance Xky always pops up once in a blue moon and Levellass made a keenwiki update just a couple of months back).
StupidBunny wrote:some new mod or something to share with everybody
New projects are cool but the sense of community we still have after decades is also really cool! So don't worry about feeling the need to have something to bring to the table in order to say hello! We all have hiatuses - nobody has been producing mods continually for decades. Even artists who express themselves in financially profitable ways and/or live off their creative work (e.g. recording albums) have extensive hiatuses.

I'm eager to see your 2600 project. My awareness of platforms other than the IBM PC compatible was almost zero until a year or two back but my curiosity has been piqued and I may soon start acquiring some old pieces of kit.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Roobar wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 13:28 Aah, always a pleasure seeing someone coming back (from the dead) after a long time! WB!
Thanks! I just gave your Cloudius IX project a peek and it's beautiful. The Keengine looks amazing to begin with. I can't wait to play more of it. (By the way, that wrist computer looks reeeaaaaal familiar... ;) )

@Nisaba and Benvolio it's a super simple arcade style game, honestly when I have the manual all done it'll probably be more memorable than the game itself (which is essentially done, but I'll share it once I have the whole package complete.) It's just an endless-running/jumping type game, with a handful of enemy and obstacle types that randomly generate as you go. Not much more to say about it, but I enjoy the mind-numbing sanity-bending challenge of programming for the VCS enough that I'm already thinking about trying something more ambitious once I finish this one. Although I also have a fun idea for a roguelike I want to attempt as well, and I also want to finish aforementioned Doom maps at some point before I die so who knows.
DarkAle wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 14:41 Now there are new modders like Nisaba, 55Aavenue, Awesome-Keener and me, DarkAle.
Atroxian Realm was finally released in 2016 and Nisaba is now working on Foray in the Forest. 55Aavenue is working on a new trilogy, Goodbye Galaxy Rebooted and I'm continuing Keen's story with the Robot Attack trilogy. I'm now working on the 2nd episode
Oooh sounds interesting. All of that. I can't even imagine what a GG reboot trilogy would look like.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Oh yay, glad to see you back StupidBunny! Hope you've been keeping and Keening well in the centre of the moon :helmet
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass