See the 2023 Keen Awards winners!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Next Keen Awards - advice needed

Post by Grandy02 »

Quillax wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 0:35
Roobar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:40
Grandy02 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:27*smells a Keen Award*
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we should make one topic Keen 2020 Award Nominees so everyone could put their nominations from now until the actual awards. That way we'll have more nominations and we won't miss things that are worth nominating.
Haha, same here! That does sound like an interesting idea. Only concerns I have is that people might constantly change their mind about their nominations as new stuff comes in and whether we have enough people to make voting for polls with like 20 nominations each work. (I think phpBB does have a limit to how many choices you can put into a poll, but there are other poll sites too.) I would continue this discussion in a new topic though.
Sorry for not responding to this much earlier. Anyways, I think it's a good idea to not to wait for nominations until the beginning of the next year. I would drop the "one nomination per category" rule then, as it would get confusing if members replaced their entries multiple times over the course of the year. Instead, one would nominate a reasonable number of things for each category, and a member's post could be edited any time to add more entries.

Before it starts, I need some input on the following issues:

1. Is there anything wrong with nominating KeenWiki for "Best Website"? Of course, we might have the same winner every year then...

2. According to KeenWiki, there have only been two (playable) "Other Mods" since 2009. I assume that Blade of Agony's Keen tribute, released this year or the next one, is big enough to deserve an entry. Would it be okay to cover the mods of non-Keen games under the Fangames category? I'd prefer it to waiting up to a decade for a (nomination-worthy) competitor.

3. I'm not so happy with the category "Best Non-Computerized Art". What if someone created a Keen sculpture with a 3D printer, for example. While the sculpture would be a physical object, the original 3D model would not be "non-computerized", of course. In many cases, it's a combination of traditional and digital techniques, anyway (e.g. a scanned drawing gets edited with a graphics program).
Last year, when nominations had already ended, DoomJedi asked me if there is an award for "Keen-themed custom stuff", like his custom Keen mug. Well, not sure about a fitting category name... any suggestions?
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Next Keen Awards - advice needed

Post by Quillax »

1. I don't see anything wrong with nominating KeenWiki. It's a bit similar to Beyond the Pogo, which won the "Best Website" award in Keen Awards 2004 if I remember correctly. You make a good point on the competition, however. How many other Keen websites are around these days? The only ones I can think of that have some relation to Keen are mine and Spleen's. Back in the early 2000s, when the first Keen Awards events were held, there seemed to be a lot more Keen websites. My website has received very few updates and I don't know if Spleen's has received any this year. Does a website need to be updated this year to qualify for a nomination?

2. We hardly seem to get any fangames this year. Perhaps it's not a bad idea to merge fangames and "Other Mods" into the same category. I'm not sure what the category would be called, though. "Best Fangame/Mod of a Non-Keen Game" seems a bit of a mouthful.

3. To me, "Non-Computerized Art" is something that's physical. No matter if the process involved a computer, the result should be physical. So I think a 3D-printed model should qualify, otherwise things might get complicated and that could ruin some of the fun with Keen Awards.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Re: Next Keen Awards - advice needed

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks for your reply. :)
Quillax wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 18:02 1. [...] Does a website need to be updated this year to qualify for a nomination?
Well, at least it should still be maintained by its owner(s). Yeah, there aren't that many around nowadays.
Quillax wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 18:02 3. To me, "Non-Computerized Art" is something that's physical. No matter if the process involved a computer, the result should be physical. So I think a 3D-printed model should qualify, otherwise things might get complicated and that could ruin some of the fun with Keen Awards.
All right, it's better to keep things as they are and simple.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net