Question: Sources of Patching Assistance

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Question: Sources of Patching Assistance

Post by Benvolio »

I've made this topic just to ask the community what are the current best routes to get in touch with people actively interested in helping with various patch requests (specifically Keen1 stuff). I simply don't have any of the programming knowledge to make any of these (I can barely even achieve the results I want from tweaking existing patches :barf).

The standard port of call was Keenmodding.org for many years but I get the feeling nobody with the skills to help with patch related conundrums is reading that forum regularly. (Partly because nobody's posting much there in general, who would blame them).

I would love to be self sufficient with my tweaking of the workings of Keen1 but truth is, I don't know what I'm doing, which means that whenever I get one thing to work, some side effect arises leading to a cascade of problems.

Any advice on this? I really do love modding, and love riding the wave of a bit of inspiration when it appears.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Question: Sources of Patching Assistance

Post by DarkAle »

Don't say that to me. I have the same problems with Keen 5: I was trying to modify the Robo Red's collision so that it would push Keen but it crashed all the time. Eventually I achieved the result somehow. After this misfortune I read Levellass' Patching tutorial and understood a little more. I advise you to read it

P. S. Ask K1n9_Duk3. He can help you. He did a great job with Keen 14
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yeah, we do need more Benvolio modding content!
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Thanks for responses. I agree that Levellass's tutorial is very good and explains some of what is going on with patches. However it is no substitute for actually knowing what is going on in the game code, which I don't. I can tweak things to a basic extent, I have at least some ability to turn a Keen2 patch into a Keen1 patch. But when something isn't working e.g. an unwanted side effect generated by a patch, this is where help really is needed. Luckily, in whatever I'm currently doing ( :garg) I have so far come up with workarounds or abandoned what I was trying to patch so no major problems. I just feel that 5 or 10 years ago, one would almost immediately get one's [Vorticons] modding challenges sorted out by experts on K:M.