Keen GBC MIDIs

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Keen GBC MIDIs

Post by Quillax »

I was browsing VGMusic and when I was looking at the newly submitted files, something keen caught my eye: Two MIDIs based on a song from Keen GBC! Here's a shortcut:

https://www.vgmusic.com/new-files/index ... ander+keen

It turns out Xky Rauh made those MIDIs. I don't know if either he or someone else shared them on Discord, but I thought it'd be nice to share them here. :) They sound really good! Good job, Xky!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen GBC MIDIs

Post by Benvolio »

Always love a good midi file. I never played Keen GBC but Xky's midi files are always great.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Thanks!

I'd never played the Keen GBA game, either, and I figured I should rectify that. I found it a little confusing, and it took me a while to figure out how to activate switches, and ultimately I decided I didn't want to spend the time & energy to play it all the way through... but the music for the first Droidicus level (Robot Hive) got stuck in my ear and I decided to transcribe it. :)

The more recent upload of it fixes an error I made about halfway through the song. The earlier upload is the same file, but with a mistake.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

As an aside, Benvolio, that screenshot of Midisoft Session brings back a LOT of memories for me--that was my first MIDI editor, back when I was in 7th grade!

I later moved to Midisoft Studio 4.0, and used that until I updated to Windows 7, which no longer allowed me to run it. :( I loved that software.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I think it'd be really cool to see transcriptions of more Keen GBC songs, but it's a lot of work, right? Do you really just have to use your ear to try and replicate it? If so, I guess that must take a really well trained ear.

Not a huge fan of the game, although I did beat it when I was a kid. However, I think the soundtrack is actually pretty underrated. The main theme is really catchy, and some levels have really neat themes (Robot Hive, Fiery Canyon, Imperial Palace, and Techno Lab are my favorites).

I was trying to see if Mark Cooksey did much other composition work, but I can't find many other projects since then. I'm guessing he got out of music composition.

I think it'd be pretty neat to hear more of these songs in the IMF format. I really loved T-Squared's rendition of the main theme in IMF: https://youtu.be/dO-q3vzd0uc
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

It's nice to see you here, Xky! You're welcome! Thanks for explaining the difference between the two versions; I thought they sounded exactly alike. That Midisoft program looks really cool! I'd love to see more Keen GBC transcriptions; the game has some good music!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!