Keen -5 Demo #1

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Keen -5 Demo #1

Post by Fleexy »

Hello, everyone!! I've been making nice progress on Keen -5, so here is demo #1. Some graphics/levels may be different from this in the real Keen -5. There are 10 levels here, and no points placed in the levels yet. A lot of misc. levels/patching WILL be added, but there is a nice amount of things here. Without further ado, get it right here:

http://home.mchsi.com/~bootsisbig/k-5demo1.zip

Your suggestions will be welcome.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Cool, I played the first level about as far as I could (which was only a few jumps :p ) and started the second level twice but each time i took one step and died.

I was most impressed by your animations. The jumble/jumpy green borders are great and the fan up in the air was beautifully done. The rest of the graphics are well done too for the most part.

Graphic Suggestions: if you can't stand on it, probably shouldn't outline a flat thing with black unless you want to trick the player.

Also, currently your graphical theme is kind of random; the level 1 takes place in a kind of nondescript color and shape arena. You don't need to have a particular setting, but its always a plus :)

Regarding level design: I know your style is for narrow platforms and jumping across hazards or pits, but this kind of design only holds my interest for so long. Thats not to say its bad, but depending on who you intend your player audience to be, you might want to use a more familiar level structures by including rooms instead of just platforms out in the open.

Anyway, its great to see the improvements in your modding and look forward to seeing where you go with this project :)
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

About the jumping over pits: that only happens in levels 1 and 2. I don't think it is anywhere else. Has anyone else played this?
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

yes i did, but not enough to give good comments.

just one thing: some things that look solid aren't.
nothing usefull here
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I know about the pipes, but what else?
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The pink/black bridge blocks... the black ones look like you can stand on them.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

OK, I'll remove the black border around them. Will that be good enough? Also, is anyone playing besides Ceilick, shikadi, and lemm? :confused
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Fleexy wrote:OK, I'll remove the black border around them. Will that be good enough? Also, is anyone playing besides Ceilick, shikadi, and lemm? :confused
I'll try it if it wont melt my brain like -6 did.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Fleexy wrote:Also, is anyone playing besides Ceilick, shikadi, and lemm?
No. :p

After 5 minutes with Keen -6 I decided not to play any of the other parts.
For me, playing Keen is supposed to give pleasure to the user.

You could say that Keen -6 kind of ruined it for me. :bloody
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

ONE HUNDREDTH POST ! ! !

Oh, and I have a problem:
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Put CK2Patch in the directory.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Keenfan wrote:You could say that Keen -6 kind of ruined it for me. :bloody
Don't worry, this is easier than Keen -6.
Grimson wrote:I'll try it if it wont melt my brain like -6 did.
It won't (I hope). :P