Keen Awards 2020: Winners

See the 2023 Keen Awards winners!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Keen Awards 2020: Winners

Post by Grandy02 »

Congratulations to the winners of the Keen Awards 2020, and thanks to all participants! :)

Regarding Quillax's question in the nominations thread, there are no trophies at the moment, which doesn't mean that there won't be trophies at a later point. Haven't received a response from Lava89, I assume he's too busy to work on them now.

EDIT: The trophies are done. Big thanks to Lava89!

1: Programming
1.1: Best Vorticon Mod
Commander Keen: Sunset by KeenRush and proYorp
Trophy Link
1.2: Best Galaxy Mod
Operation Ocflore by Bubbatom
Trophy Link
1.3: Best Fangame
Planet Cloudius IX v.1.2.6 by Roobar
Trophy Link
1.4: Best Level
Ancient Observatory (Level 11) from Operation Ocflore by Bubbatom
Trophy Link
1.5: Best Tool
Abiathar v.2.11.3 by Fleexy
Trophy Link

2: Fan Art
2.1: Best Graphical Artwork
Operation Ocflore Graphics by Bubbatom
Trophy Link
2.2: Best Narrative
Operation Ocflore Story by Bubbatom
Trophy Link
2.3: Best Music
Br'er Tar Ain't Gonna Get Me! by Scifidelity Orchestra
Trophy Link
2.4: Best Animation
PCKF Logos by Nisaba
Trophy Link
2.5: Best Non-Computerized Art
Drawtumn 20.21 - Flame (Commander Keen vs Berkeloid) by AlmightyRayzilla
Trophy Link
2.6: Best Gameplay Video
Unnamed Keen Fangame by Ryemanni
Trophy Link

3: Web
3.1: Best Website
KeenWiki by Malvineous
Trophy Link
3.3: Online Community Service Recognition
Grandy02
Trophy

4: Miscellaneous
4.1: Keenest Person of the Year
K1n9_Duk3
Trophy
4.2: Really Keen Stuff
The Great Galaxy-Mod Bug Hunt 2020 by K1n9_Duk3
Trophy Link
4.3: Most Promising Project
Foray in the Forest by Nisaba
Trophy Link
4.4 Best 30th Anniversary Tribute
Keen 1 Randomiser by MultiMania
Trophy Link
Last edited by Grandy02 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Awards 2020: Winners

Post by DarkAle »

Congratulations to all the winners! :D I'm only sad because I didn't win :'( but this year, with my Secret of the Sorcerer, I'll shine :)
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Congratulations to all. I congratulated the Scifidelity Orchestra on youtube too, I hope they see it. I may not have got an award but at least I "commissioned" an award winning entry. Also, interestingly, it appears they got a comment of praise from the actual Bobby Prince on their winning Brer Tar video too!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what happened to the poll topics for this? I know they were put into a temporary subforum.

Also, since I'm here, I just wanted to give late congratulations to the winners! Bubbatom coming in with 4 awards for Ocflore wow. :eek Now there's an award-winning mod.

And I want to give a big congratulations to KeenRush for finally winning an award after having been nominated in every single Keen Awards since it started, which is quite an accomplishment in itself! I think he's the only one to have done that.

I'm also surprised that I somehow ended up in here since I did next to nothing last year. Most of the work I did for Sunset was done in 2018. In a way it's strange for me to think of it as a 2020 mod.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

The poll threads were archived to a hidden subforum to avoid clogging the topic lists with the many small threads. I think Grandy02 has screenshots of the results saved - but if not and if there's interest, I can make a screenshot album of the final results.

I'm sorry that I was so inactive again this year that I didn't notice the award for Abiathar when this was posted! :o Thanks everyone for the nomination and votes, and thanks to Grandy02 for coordinating all this again.

Congratulations to the winners and all content creators - it's really great to see all the cool new Keen content coming out. :birthday
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Congratulations to all of the winners! It's really amazing to see how many awards Bubbatom won in just this one year, especially when they're all for one mod! I'm not even sure if any other mod won at least two awards in one year. Also, it's nice to see KeenRush finally win an award after all these years! I'm sure he would be really proud! I wish there were trophies; those are always so cool to look at! Hopefully someone skilled at 3D modelling will make some for these deserving winners! Maybe trophies could also be made for Keen Awards 2003?

I can't wait for Keen Awards 2021! I already got a few nominations in my mind. :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

It took a while, but I'm happy to announce that the trophies for the winners are finished. Again, thanks to Lava89 for his awesome 3D work. :) Check out the thread's first post for the individual high-res images.

A belated thank-you to everyone who voted for me. That was unexpected. It's great to know that you value my efforts to preserve and honour the creative products of the Keen community. Sorry that rather little has happened at the PCKF Archive since some months. It will return to more regular updates soon.

Tomorrow, I'll finally launch the nominations for the Keen Awards 2021.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Oh, sweet! This is neat! I thought the trophies were never coming! Excellent work as usual, Lava89!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Grandy02 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 18:56 A belated thank-you to everyone who voted for me. That was unexpected. It's great to know that you value my efforts to preserve and honour the creative products of the Keen community.
Absolutely! I remember that shortly after the 2019 Keen Awards ended I found that the PCKF Archive had been receiving several updates throughout the year, which surprised me because I didn't see it mentioned here aside from the reintroduction. I remember thinking that if I'd known it was actively being updated, I would've nominated it then!

Also thanks for posting the poll results of the last Keen Awards. I always like to see the numbers. 8)

Thank you to Lava89 for volunteering again to provide trophy designs! I am again surprised by the fact that I ended up with a trophy with my name on it after hardly being online in 2020. Oh yeah, I guess I should say thank you to everyone that voted for Sunset! I wonder how one properly displays a purely digital trophy.

It's interesting to think about how the trophies are almost a symbolic prize, being a rendered image rather than a physical item. It makes economical sense as it would be a massive undertaking to design and craft a few dozen physical trophies and ship them around the whole world. :eek But in my opinion the lack of a physical form doesn't take away from the sentimental value it can hold. (Certainly I have several things that I consider to be important momentos which have only ever existed within the digital realm, and a nice thing about that is that there can be identical duplicates and they won't degrade from use.) And these trophies are still individually handcrafted, each one being a uniquely designed... image...
waitaminute is this an nft? :painted

that was a joke please do not yell at me thanks ^_^"
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

These trophies are freaking amazing! just wow!!! :O
proYorp wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 20:06 It's interesting to think about how the trophies are almost a symbolic prize, being a rendered image rather than a physical item. It makes economical sense as it would be a massive undertaking to design and craft a few dozen physical trophies and ship them around the whole world. :
maybe a stl file would be awesome so one could 3D print their own trophies to put it on a shelf
out now (link) : Image
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Grandy02 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 18:56 Again, thanks to Lava89 for his awesome 3D work. :) Check out the thread's first post for the individual high-res images.
Thanks Grandy02 !!
Quillax wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 21:50 Oh, sweet! This is neat! I thought the trophies were never coming! Excellent work as usual, Lava89!
Yeah, sorry these arrived so late and thanks Quillax!
proYorp wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 20:06 Thank you to Lava89 for volunteering again to provide trophy designs! I am again surprised by the fact that I ended up with a trophy with my name on it after hardly being online in 2020. Oh yeah, I guess I should say thank you to everyone that voted for Sunset! I wonder how one properly displays a purely digital trophy.
You're welcome!
Nisaba wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:18 These trophies are freaking amazing! just wow!!! :O
Thank you Nisbala! That means alot!!