Keen 6.5: Keen's Nightmare

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Keen 6.5: Keen's Nightmare

Post by szemi »

Hey, everyone! Happy Keen's Day to everybody and this time, I wanna grab the opportunity to present you my current project:

COMMANDER KEEN in ... "Keen's Nightmare"
Keen Episode Six And A Half: Keen's Nightmare

About Keen 6.5:

- this will be a Keen 5 mod taking place in Keen's nightmare
- follows the happenings of Keen 5 and 6
- everything in the game will have own songs (26 in total)
- will have extended-slope ground platforms
- additional help section
- reorganized cheat codes (in as alphabetic order as i can do it)
- no load/save game unfortunately, since the game will contain an ultimate difficulty that busts up the loading/saving system (that i managed to realize so far), so and but I cannot do anything, and to quote from Levellass from KeenWiki:

Code: Select all

This sets the difficulty level to 4, but because the game is not coded to handle this things can be a little strange.
- Chungella IV, where the game takes place on, but with unofficial look (actually a gemstone planet)
- 20 playable levels
- two types and lists of point items: big, which will be sprite-based (since tile-based can only be 8x8), and small, which will be completely different looking

That's all in-short!

And here's the YT demo footage of the early title idea: https://youtu.be/vFnKKMpEBYU
Last edited by szemi on Fri Mar 19, 2021 0:43, edited 3 times in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen 7: Outrage in Outer Space

Post by shikadi »

There's already a keen 7, Making another one would be confusing.
nothing usefull here
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Okay, let's make 4 things clear:

1. As Ceilick said:
I think anyone else looking to revise these should honestly consider just making their own uTUIT.
So why would it be a problem? (Confusing would be strong expression as Ceilick's TUIT exists only, and so is mine in the future.)

2. I mentioned Ceilick, so he already knows about my Keen 7 and he even agreed to make it.
3. And I even planned out Keen 8-9 title, too.
4. My improvements comparing to Keen 4-6 will be bigger in platform ground tiles, point items, and messages as well.

So instead of the negative, demotivating comments you should appreciate it (especially, because the demo video and the screenshot was my Keen Day present.)

(Besides, my TUIT may have a continuation in the parallel universe...)
Yeah, piece of cake!
boundish91
Grunt

Post by boundish91 »

Interesting! Altough i doubt an old noob like me could live without saving :O Looking forward to se what becomes of this tho.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

boundish91 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 18:54 Altough i doubt an old noob like me could live without saving :O Looking forward to se what becomes of this tho.
Don't worry, Keen 7 will not be that too hard, because since no load/save, the gameplay will be easier a bit to give prestige for the 4th difficulty. ;)
Yeah, piece of cake!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

szemi wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 13:17 So why would it be a problem?
Because a mod with the title "Keen 7" already exists and is well known. Same goes for re-using the TUIT title. It saves everyone from confusion when no two mods or mod series share the same title.

You could just call yours "Commander Keen: Outrage in Outer Space" without the episode number and there would be no issue. Or, since you've plans for sequels, give the series a name like "Epic Keen Series, episode 1: Outrage in Outer Space" to tie them together.

For example, 55AAvenue's mod The Armageddon App is technically episode 5, but it's not called that.

That's just my two cents.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

If you suggest it, too, then it could just be Keen 7: Outrage in Outer Space (without being under the TUIT title). Agree with that?
Yeah, piece of cake!
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

You said that this keen7 would be in an alternative or parallel universe, two suggestions I would like to give are:

"Alt Keen 7: Outrage in Outer Space"
"Parallel Keen 7: Outrage in Outer Space"

But it's your mod, so you decide. But I think it would be fairly confusing otherwise.
nothing usefull here
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

How about Keen 6.5?
Yeah, piece of cake!
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

szemi wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 19:04 How about Keen 6.5?
That would also be very clear, go for it. In my opinion, you could keep unofficial TUIT stuff as keen7 isn't often referred to by that.

I also really wish I would be that good at pixel art, the intro screen looks impressive to me.
nothing usefull here