Keen 14: Secret of the Sorcerer Demo 2

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Keen 14: Secret of the Sorcerer Demo 2

Post by DarkAle »

Hi guys
Unfortunately the mod is not ready for release yet as I have changed a few things:
I redid Chaos Tempest
I have eliminated "tornado spirits" to make new enemies

But since I wanted to release something for Keen Day, here's a much better new demo than before.

Levels
There are 3 levels. The level entry tiles were made by me and Awesome-Keener. Since the level 3 ones aren't ready, you'll need to go to the bottom of the map and press Ctrl to enter. I hope you enjoy them
P.S. The BWB isn't a level because it contains a great secret. Too great to be revealed

Graphics
Most of the graphics were done by Awesome-Keener but, inspired by the art of his mod and Atroxian Realm, I did something too

Soundtracks
The sound tracks featured in the levels were made by 55Aavenue and XkyRauh + one taken from bitmidi.com

Patches
New features have been added, like the 20000 point item

Sprites
In this demo 4 sprites are present. Thanks to Ceilick for improving the Attack Drone

The rest was done by me
Enjoy this "taste of the mod" :D

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/r80xw0of ... 4.zip/file

P.S. READ THE README FOR OTHER INFORMATIONS ABOUT THE DEMO
Last edited by DarkAle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:00, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Re: Keen 14: Secret of the Sorcerer Demo 2

Post by Nospike »

(FWIW, I played this on Easy because I'm a pansy and having to savescum too much makes me feel bad. :p )
Interesting mod. I like the aesthetic, the earthy colors look nice, though sometimes things can get a bit busy due to the amount of detail in the textures. The design of the enemies really pops.

The levels mostly seem to be on the shorter side. One suggestion I have would be not to shy away from making side areas smaller. In the Underground level there is a section near the bottom of the map where Keen has to ride a bird over a pool of water and then jump up into a long, narrow hallway which is mostly empty. Sections like these could benefit from being a bit shorter. (Unless there are additional enemies up there on higher difficulties or something.) If that means some parts of the map remain empty, that's fine.

The deadly spikes from Keen 6 with their massive killing power stretching past the leftmost edge have made a comeback, I see. :bloody

There is one spot in level 2 that I think might be impossible, or at least very hard to get through:
Going from right to left works fine, Keen bumps up against the ceiling but lands on the platform. Going back however ends up with Keen jumping above the ceiling level and hitting the wall. Maybe this is due to how Keen jumps higher on Easy difficulty?

Thanks for the fun Keen Day release. :)
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I tested it at easy, normal and hard. At easy it's hard for Keen's jump height. I'll do something
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Perhaps that jump could be made with pogo?

I get out of memory error and it quits. Can't run the mod.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I tried the files on my computer and the ones I uploaded on Mediafire. Both worked for me
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Roobar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 I get out of memory error and it quits. Can't run the mod.
The files I downloaded seem to be working fine. Did you use the wrong version of the Keen 6 executable? The mod needs version 1.4, but some versions of CK6PATCH also support versions 1.0 and 1.5, which means CK6PATCH won't show an error message for the executable. But since the patch script doesn't have any commands to modify the other versions, this may cause CK6PATCH to run the unpatched exe with the modified data files, meaning the headers in the executable don't match the data files. That can cause all kinds of trouble, including out of memory errors.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You're right. It works.